Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympic Drug Testing lab suspended

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Six weeks before the Summer Olympics open in Rio de Janeiro, the laboratory that was set to handle drug testing at the Games has been suspended by the World Anti-Doping Agency

It seems he reason for the suspension  is the lab’s nonconformity with international standards.

This is the second suspension for this particular laboratory....The first time was 3 years ago. It has only recently regained it's certification for testing

A new crisis indeed.......just shows how corruption in sport is spreading

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/sports/olympics/rio-drug-testing-lab-is-suspended-by-wada.html?_r=...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Fantastic, so I'm assuming all Olympic doping tests (all round and medal winners) will be done in Bogota nearly 3000 miles away.
This Olympics is gonna be epic.
Message 2 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am getting more and more despondent about this sort of sporting event now. Now I tend to look at every winning person or team...and wondering if they have taken performance enhancing drugs...What a sad situation...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 32

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Great article @Cleoriff I knew about the corruption in Russia , and the tampering with urine samples  etc. But it seems much more widespread.  Wonder if on site testing would even work given the level of abuse of the whole system x

giphy-3
Message 4 of 32

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I am getting more and more despondent about this sort of sporting event now. Now I tend to look at every winning person or team...and wondering if they have taken performance enhancing drugs...What a sad situation...

Sadly, it's not just this sort of sporting event. It's a worldwide problem in all sports. Look at what happened recently to Maria Sharapova. There have been PED scandals in the US in professional baseball for years, and you can't even talk about the Tour de France without mentioning drugs. Money changes everything.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Sadly, it's not just this sort of sporting event. It's a worldwide problem in all sports. Look at what happened recently to Maria Sharapova. There have been PED scandals in the US in professional baseball for years, and you can't even talk about the Tour de France without mentioning drugs. Money changes everything.

I agree. The Sharapova drug scandal shocked me a lot. ...Let's just say it is getting a whole load more press nowadays. However... even more scandalous is the fact that the drug testing labs are coming under suspicion (obviously regarding fixing results)...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 32

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You see, independence day is small when you consider the scale of corruption in sport and politics. We've had tennis, FIFA, EUFA, athletics....

Message 7 of 32

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I think we should withdraw our membership of the IOC
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sharapova doping shocked me. Thought she was one of the good ones
Message 9 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Sharapova doping shocked me. Thought she was one of the good ones

Slightly flippant but at l;east we are rid of her grunting every time she takes a shot....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 32