Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Gear: The future?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Unless you have been in a news free zone for 24 hrs it wont have gone unnoticed that Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended...

Allegedly he punched a producer....

Sundays episode has been shelved along with the remaining two in the Top Gear series..

Clarksons suspension has led to a massive petition for his reinstatement.

Personally, I wonder why so many want him back? Surely this massively popular show can survive without him? (Stands back ready to be panned for that comment Fear)

Maybe this 'hero worship' of Clarkson is a 'man thing'? (apologies if that appears sexist Rolleys)

I don't particularly like him. I think he arrogantly believes he is invincible....Drum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31828184

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 248
247 REPLIES 247

MI5
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Is one man bigger than the entire show?
We shall see........!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 248

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Is one man bigger than the entire show?
We shall see........!

From the petition currently doing the rounds, I am unsure whether the people signing are Top Gear fans or Clarkson fans?

I actually like the show. I don't watch it much though because of him (Heresy?) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 248

MI5
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I do find him funny but replacing him wouldn't make any difference to me.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 248

jonsie
  • 93156 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I can take him or leave him, amusing but too self important at times. The show will survive no problem and we can look forward to Clarkson concentrating on his new job as Lord Mayor of London....:smileywink:

Message 5 of 248

Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally like him, and the BBC likes the personality he portrays on screen. The trouble is though he isn't just 'hamming it up' for the audience, that is actually how he is! The BBC needs to appreciate that if they want to employ him. 

That said though, IF he has actually punched another member of staff, I can't see how they can continue to employ him, as the are setting a very dangerous precedant. He may have really shot himself in the foot this time. 

I would imagine if he doesn't carry on, that Top Gear will, possibly without a replacement. Hammond and May know they are onto a good thing and I don't think they'll be revolting if he doesn't get reinstated. That's not saying they wont miss him though, as I think they genuinely get on.

Maybe he could be the Star In The Reasonably-Priced car next series???

Message 6 of 248

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think though Clarkson is part of the bricks and mortar for that show. Love him or hate him, it is what it is.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 248

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

I think though Clarkson is part of the bricks and mortar for that show. Love him or hate him, it is what it is.

If that's the case @anticpated  then the other question would be....would you stop watching Top Gear if he wasn't part of it?

My problem with him is ...I am sure he thinks people would stop watching.(As you say...love him or hate him)

I honestly think people who enjoy the show would watch it irrespective of whether he was part of it or not...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 248

jonsie
  • 93156 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Speaking personally, I enjoy the show for the format and content. It may seem strange without him but I'll continue watching.

Message 9 of 248

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Top Gear could continue but it would need some clever writing and hiring. Sadly, while still entertaining, Richard and James are not main presenter material. They are the sides that add to the main personality. 

Who could they get to replace him? 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 10 of 248