Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Community Forum 2021 - Christmas Singles Mega Word Grid Part 2

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

Welcome back everyone - Christmas Eve and bored of wrapping presents?  Well, here's chance for the Forum Festive Frivolities to continue - come join the fun!

Hidden in a straight line across, up, down or diagonally (backwards or forwards too!) in the grid below are 30 singles titles. Each has been a #1 hit in the UK in the week in which Christmas Day fell, from the 1950s to last year, 

The rules are simple:

- Find a title in the grid, give me the full title as printed in the grid, the start and end co-ordinates of the title and the title's group/singer/band name for a point;

- For a bonus, give me the year (or years - a bonus point per year) that the title by that artist was at the top in the Christmas Week chart;

- First person to tell me the year or years gets the bonus.

Then give someone else a chance, and repeat.

I'll be around to update the grid and keep track of the scores at intervals during the day. I will compile the winners towards the end of day.

NB: There are a few tricky ones in there, where a song or variant of a song was released by different artists, or where a release was a double A-side, watch out!

PS. Feel free to use any tool at your disposal to check date(s) and/or artist/s once you have found a title in the grid.

Dec24GridQfF.png

Over to you, happy hunting: @Cleoriff @Bambino @blissgirl @BobM @Cairdeas1 @gmarkj @J9el @jonsie  @lewys-gp @madasaf1sh @MAKAZAGA @Martin-O2 @Mi-Amigo  @MI5 @Pennywren @Projectionist @RafaC @RunrigForever @sheepdog @TallTrees and anyone else who fancies a go! 

Message 1 of 157
156 REPLIES 156

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25332 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn for setting and running another a brilliant game, which was way more difficult than the previous one.

I can`t believe my score. I guess I was lucky with a few Beatles songs in the grid.

It was great fun to have the tag team with @Cleoriff and @TallTrees this time, which added something new to the Word Search. 

I wish each and everyone of the players and our Word Search setter, a very Happy Christmas.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 151 of 157

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well done, @pgn. Great effort putting this together and hosting 👍

Big congrats to everyone else who got involved too! I really enjoy being a part of this community and seeing the effort put in by everyone is amazing 😊. Merry Christmas to one and all. Happy Holidays!

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 152 of 157

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10887 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 352 Solutions

Hello @pgn 

Thank you for a super game, I enjoyed it until my eyes crossed!  

Great Scores Everyone 

Thank you to my tag team @Mi-Amigo  and  @Cleoriff 

Without you I would have nothing😩 but it was fantastic to enable me to take part.

Well done everyone I liked the videos enjoyed them whilst multi-tasking Chrissy Dinner

Enjoy your Chrissy Dins and have a happy day everyone 💝

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 153 of 157

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thanks a lot for another fantastic round of word grig @pgn! As have been said, amazing effort coming up with it, running it and not only that, but also providing us with some many joyful Christmas singles videos slight_smile

I was mesmerised by how many Beatles singles topped the charts during Christmas time! I especially enjoyed that We Can Work It Out is amongst them, as it's one of my favourite Beatles records slight_smile

Well done everyone, great effort from the participants as well as this one wasn't an easy one! Merry Christmas to one and all! 

Message 154 of 157

pgn
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

Thanks everyone for the lovely messages - the guts of the work were done sometime before the first grid, all titles compiled, mangled and de-spaced/de-punctuated in a Google sheet.

Then a few trial runs through the grid generator applet I found, to get the balance of size and density - you'll note about 8 or so hits were omitted... 

Once the grid, and solution grid, was ready, these had to be "played" to get the answers - the co-ordinates (cue D and S #1, who happened to be around the house for that).

Then it was just a matter of setting the game, rules and letting the Grid Gurus loose on it - which you did spectacularly, thank you.

If I had to do it again, there would be points for a correct title, and a bonus for the year and the group for each entry - this was a bit constraining this time around when people could see a title but knew not the other 2 bits of information.

All in all, a great way to spend a few days, and most enjoyable - the YouTube links were a bonus, I wonder how many listened to them while waiting for another responder to answer?

2021-12-24 18_39_18-O2 Community Forum 2021 - Chistmas Word Grid - Google Sheets.png

Merry Christmas everyone!

Message 155 of 157

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

Really great game @pgn. It was lovely to be able to take part for some of it. Hairdressers, people visiting, checking a neighbours house as he has gone away, wrapping presents etc etc. All that aside, I would never have scored as many as @Mi-Amigo who was on fire 😂 Good to be part of a tag team though.

Well done to you for all your hard work. Happy Christmas one and all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 156 of 157

pgn
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions
Message 157 of 157