Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Community Forum 2021 - Christmas Singles Mega Word Grid Part 2

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Welcome back everyone - Christmas Eve and bored of wrapping presents?  Well, here's chance for the Forum Festive Frivolities to continue - come join the fun!

Hidden in a straight line across, up, down or diagonally (backwards or forwards too!) in the grid below are 30 singles titles. Each has been a #1 hit in the UK in the week in which Christmas Day fell, from the 1950s to last year, 

The rules are simple:

- Find a title in the grid, give me the full title as printed in the grid, the start and end co-ordinates of the title and the title's group/singer/band name for a point;

- For a bonus, give me the year (or years - a bonus point per year) that the title by that artist was at the top in the Christmas Week chart;

- First person to tell me the year or years gets the bonus.

Then give someone else a chance, and repeat.

I'll be around to update the grid and keep track of the scores at intervals during the day. I will compile the winners towards the end of day.

NB: There are a few tricky ones in there, where a song or variant of a song was released by different artists, or where a release was a double A-side, watch out!

PS. Feel free to use any tool at your disposal to check date(s) and/or artist/s once you have found a title in the grid.

Dec24GridQfF.png

Over to you, happy hunting: @Cleoriff @Bambino @blissgirl @BobM @Cairdeas1 @gmarkj @J9el @jonsie  @lewys-gp @madasaf1sh @MAKAZAGA @Martin-O2 @Mi-Amigo  @MI5 @Pennywren @Projectionist @RafaC @RunrigForever @sheepdog @TallTrees and anyone else who fancies a go! 

Message 1 of 157
156 REPLIES 156

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25348 Posts
  • 830 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn 

Well pleased I found the last song title...

I`ll leave the artist and date to my fellow tag-team @Cleoriff fingers_crossed

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 141 of 157

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Answer Me was Frankie Laine in 1953...(the year after charts started AFAIK?) @Mi-Amigo @pgn 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 142 of 157

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Great game @pgn , even though you sent me cross eyed at times 😂

Cleoriff_0-1640355739644.gif

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 143 of 157

Mi-Amigo
  • 25348 Posts
  • 830 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

I`ve heard of Frankie Laine but had no idea he recorded Answer Me or that it was No 1 in 1953.

I hope you have given the right answer to @pgn .

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 144 of 157

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Cleoriff 

I`ve heard of Frankie Laine but had no idea he recorded Answer Me or that it was No 1 in 1953.

Frankie Laine was one of my dad's favourite singers @Mi-Amigo. I bought him that record for Christmas 53.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 145 of 157

Mi-Amigo
  • 25348 Posts
  • 830 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Cleoriff 

Frankie Laine was one of my dad's favourite singers @Mi-Amigo. I bought him that record for Christmas 53.

OMG That`s lovely @Cleoriff What a lovely way to end this game ❤️

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 146 of 157

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11036 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 362 Solutions

Yep had to get away from the Grid @Mi-Amigo 

@Cleoriff  just the right eyes ! 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 147 of 157

pgn
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Sorry for the break there - and well done on getting the bonus for the last one, @Cleoriff :

1953Frankie LaineAnswerMeG8A1

Scores to follow...

Message 148 of 157

pgn
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Well that was a rollercoaster ride today - eyeballs all over the place at times!

WhoBonusTotal
@Mi-Amigo 1430
@BobM 59
@Cleoriff 58

@TallTrees 

@Mi-Amigo

@Cleoriff

@Anonymous 24
@RafaC 12
@lewys-gp 01
Grand Total3060

As it is Christmas Eve, combining answers was permitted, so we had a 3-person tag-team in there too this time. Others who got a bonus had it added to their score, you'll see from the table above how you did on that front.

And we had a new, or returning, member today too - well done @Anonymous - not sure how I would have hidden dates in there, and the group or singer or band would have been a push to get in too.  

Here is the final answer grid, if anyone's interested to see where the answers really lay:

Dec24GridAf.png

In closing, I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas - I hope Santa, suitably masked, visits this evening as customary, and is offered the traditional fare in return...

Message 149 of 157

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4611 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for organising the word search @pgn and a Merry Christmas to you too.  A heck of a lot of work for you, so well done.  Would have preferred a decent run at it myself instead of a bit here and there, but been one of those days.  @Mi-Amigo is at the top of the league again, - well done to him and to everyone else who took part.

Good fun, cheers.

Message 150 of 157