Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Community Forum 2021 - Christmas Singles Mega Word Grid Part 1

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36416 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

Welcome all, another chance for the Forum Festive Frivolities to continue - come join the fun!

Hidden in a straight line across, up, down or diagonally (backwards or forwards too!) in the grid below are 31 singles titles. Each has been a #1 hit in the UK in the week in which Christmas Day fell, from the 1950s to last year, 

The rules are simple:

- Find a title in the grid, give me the full title as printed in the grid, the start and end co-ordinates of the title and the title's group/singer/band name for a point;

- For a bonus, give me the year (or years - a bonus point per year) that the title by that artist was at the top in the Christmas Week chart;

- First person to tell me the year or years gets the bonus.

Then give someone else a chance, and repeat.

I'll be back to update the grid and keep track of the scores at intervals during the day. I will compile the winners towards the end of day.

NB: There are a few tricky ones in there, where a song or variant of a song was released by different artists, or where a release was a double A-side, watch out!

PS. Feel free to use any tool at your disposal to check date(s) and/or artist/s once you have found a title in the grid.

Here's an Example answer:

R1 - L8 "Mr Blobby", by Mr Blobby, in 1993  - this would score 1 point + 1 bonus point

Dec16GridQf.png

Over to you, happy hunting: @Cleoriff @Bambino @blissgirl @BobM @Cairdeas1 @gmarkj @J9el @lewys-gp @madasaf1sh @MAKAZAGA @Martin-O2 @Mi-Amigo 

@MI5 @Pennywren @Projectionist @RafaC @RunrigForever @sheepdog @TallTrees and anyone else who fancies a go!  (@jonsie has a buy-ball in this one, by prior arrangement 8ball)

Message 1 of 139
138 REPLIES 138

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25214 Posts
  • 817 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OMG - I scored 28 ??? Unbelievable... MiAmigo_4-1639481384539.gifThank you.

Well done everyone who took part - an awesome effort.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 131 of 139

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Brilliant game @pgn thanks so much for organising and running it, it was good fun and I'm looking forward to part 2 as well slight_smile

Well done everyone, great collective effort on finding those 31 titles, although it was great fun, it wasn't an easy task!

Message 132 of 139

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4452 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Arrived late to this but well done all and can see @Mi-Amigo way up at the top.  Thanks goes to @pgn for organising it so well.  Good game 👍

Message 133 of 139

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Such an amazing effort, @pgn. Should be proud 👏.

Loads of fun but also some hair-pulling moments for me 🤣. I can see some of the titles I knew wasn't in this part, so I'm hoping part 2 will be more favourable to me.

Thanks again and well done to everyone involved! 

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 134 of 139

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123323 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Thanks for all this effort @pgn . I'm not that good at Word Searches. (Genuinely, my eyes are peculiar in that they, along with my brain, don't compute anything which is printed vertically and on a slant). However I gave it a go and it was well thought out. Thanks again. x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 135 of 139

J9el
Level 9: Fired up
  • 965 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well done all….especially @Mi-Amigo 🎉

Message 136 of 139

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10787 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Lots of work for you 'pressure pressure' 😁

@pgn very well done 

Unlike @Cleoriff  My eyes are not too bad for word searches.  My big problem is I don't know the song titles 🤣 

One correct is amazing. 

Thanks for the game enjoyed.  I'll have another go next time  of course may find one🙄

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 137 of 139

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12130 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions

Well done everyone - looks like a good game @pgn sorry I missed it!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 138 of 139

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36416 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

Thanks everyone - it went pretty well, I thought, for a Word Grid - and everyone was a good sport whenever something cropped up, with several people combining effort to get the full answer and sharing the Answer and Bonus point.

I enjoyed putting in all the YouTube videos on every "win", possibly to the detriment of posting Grid updates - but I hope even those coming along after the event enjoyed some of the music on the thread.

For those who missed out, I'll kick off the second half (approximately - some titles had to be dropped for legibility in the grid!) on 24-Dec-2021 at around the same time, 9am - unless anyone has a preference for an earlier or a later start that day?

Thanks everyone, and well done to all who had a shot - even Mr Blobby got a look-in 🤣

giphy (1).gif

Message 139 of 139