cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : iOS 8.1 brings back the option to switch to 2G, 3G or LTE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : iOS 8.1 brings back the option to switch to 2G, 3G or LTE

Excerpt from the Link "The good news is that Apple is indeed listening to feedback and complaints, as iOS 8.1 which was seeded to developers two days back, will give users the option to either select LTE, 3G or 2G, which should address these concerns."

My Thoughts :

Fingers crossed this toggle is returned for Uk users too in the iOS 8.1 Update. 

Source : iPhoneHacks.

Read more here

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I look forward to this option.

I was told it would be in the iOS 7 but clearly it wasn't.

Message 2 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi gemz

I think a lot of people were looking forward to it especially as O2 were re introducing the toggle into Android Firmwares.

Unfortunately they can't have agreed with Apple as no carrier update followed iOS 7 to introduce it.

So here's hoping this comes about. slight_smile
Message 3 of 40

Jeevster
Level 4: Observant
  • 175 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Well I can't see it on the cellular menu
Message 4 of 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Jeevster wrote:

O2 haven't updated the carrier file yet.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 40

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jeevster wrote:

Chris_K from the O2 Social Media Team is aware we are asking and has said he will update Asap. 

Discussed in in this thread tonight. http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Heads-Up-iOS-8-1-is-live/m-p/794901

Message 7 of 40

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hopefully we will get a response soon as I think this is the feature that all O2 iPhone users are impatiently waiting for........ Whistle

Message 8 of 40

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 9 of 40

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just had a reply from @O2, whom I tweeted earlier about this and they've told me that "a carrier update won't change this".  From everything I've read, that's simply not true...the carrier determines this option being available. 

Why won't O2 let us decide if we want 3G on all the time?  I have a very weak 3G signal most of the time, and the constant searching for a mast is absolutely hammering my iPhone 6's battery.  To the point where I'm now completely turning cellular data off unless I really need it.  I was out of the UK for almost a week recently and had to turn off cellular data because of the roaming aspect; I couldn't believe how long my battery started lasting.

I have to be honest, if I'd have know about this before buying an iOS8 iPhone 6 and getting a 4G O2 SIM, I'd have very, very seriously considered staying with iOS7 and my old iPhone 5.

Message 10 of 40