cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Pupils begin 'tough' new national curriculum

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Pupils begin 'tough' new national curriculum.

"Five-year-olds will learn fractions and computer coding, while those in early secondary school will have to study at least two Shakespeare plays."

"Teachers' leaders say the timetable is unrealistic, but the Department for Education said its aim was to prepare children for "life in modern Britain"."

My thoughts :

I'm all for bringing knowledge and learning at school age, but computer coding for 5 year olds !

Source : BBC News.
Read more here : http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28987787

More here http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28984411
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Language is introduced by each young generation in order to disassociate themselves from the 'olds' and I suppose we ourselves introduced words that our parents didn't understand.

Message 31 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

Ummm.....I'm American slight_smile

And I am delighted to meet you @Bambino.    I am sure you are indeed Clearly Talented in the appropriate use of the English language.   Was it Wilde (or Churchill) who referred to "two nations divided by a common language"?  slight_smile 

Gerry

Message 32 of 42

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Dyslexia is such an abused and easy excuse for many people these days. There are genuine dyslexic people but it's all too easy to cite bad education and general laziness as dyslexia. Not getting at anyone so please don't take offence slight_smile

Message 33 of 42

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Why is dyslexia such a hard word to spell.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23174 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Ummm.....I'm American slight_smile

And I am delighted to meet you @Bambino.    I am sure you are indeed Clearly Talented in the appropriate use of the English language.   Was it Wilde (or Churchill) who referred to "two nations divided by a common language"?  slight_smile 

Gerry

Nice to meet you too, @Anonymous  Yes, I'd like to think that I have a fairly good command of the English language, even if I do spell the occassional word differently than the way you might do. wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 35 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

Nice to meet you too, @Anonymous  Yes, I'd like to think that I have a fairly good command of the English language, even if I do spell the occassional word differently than the way you might do. wink

Lots of people spell lots of words differently from me @Bambino - but that is because I did not pay as much attention as I should when I was being educated!!

But spelling and pronounciation are interesting topics too.   How does a non-English speaker learn to cope with :-

Bow (as in bow one's head) and Bough (branch of tree) and Bow (a weapon to launch arrows)

Row ( an argument) and Row (to propel a boat with oars)

Sew (pronounced 'so' - to mend a garment) and sow (cast seeds on the ground) and sow (to rhyme with bow as in bow one's head,  a female pig)

and so many other apparent "irregularities".

Gerry

Message 36 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention :-

GHOTI  which is a constructed word used to illustrate irregularities in English spelling. It is a respelling of the word FISH

the gh, as in tough
the o, as in women
and the ti, as in nation

Perhaps a language revolution is overdue?

Gerry
Message 37 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 123226 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Dyslexia is such an abused and easy excuse for many people these days. There are genuine dyslexic people but it's all too easy to cite bad education and general laziness as dyslexia. Not getting at anyone so please don't take offence slight_smile

Totally agree with that comment. Such a shame that genuine sufferers often miss the additional support they need ....because of all those who are just unwilling or too lazy to learn....

Pretty much the same way as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).is a title given to 1000's of children who misbehave RolleysRolleys.....However, that is a seperate issue and don't get me started on that one! LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23174 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

Gerry wrote:

I forgot to mention :-

GHOTI  which is a constructed word used to illustrate irregularities in English spelling. It is a respelling of the word FISH

the gh, as in tough
the o, as in women
and the ti, as in nation

Perhaps a language revolution is overdue?

I've never heard that word before. You say it's a constructed word, but who constructed it? 

I've heard of John Gotti, who was a New York Mafia boss, also known as The Teflon Don, because he escaped criminal prosecution so often, but we stray off topic.....Smiley Very Happy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 39 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

I've never heard that word before. You say it's a constructed word, but who constructed it? 

I've heard of John Gotti, who was a New York Mafia boss, also known as The Teflon Don, because he escaped criminal prosecution so often, but we stray off topic.....Smiley Very Happy

If I remember rightly it was an invention by George Bernard Shaw who supported a movement to reform English spelling.  Quite a lot about it on Wikipedia which is where I found it a year or so ago.

Gerry 

Message 40 of 42