cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Internet trolls face up to two years in jail under new laws.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : Internet trolls face up to two years in jail under new laws.

Excerpts from the Link "Internet trolls could face up to two years in jail under new laws, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said."

My thoughts :

About time a sentence reflects the crime.

Such activities can affect someone's life so much in many ways including the worst case scenario.

Some people don't realise what they say / how they say it and how they treat others on forums can hurt ,and sadly some actually do !

Source : BBC News.

Read more here : Internet trolls face up to two years in jail under new laws

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

A family member of mine was a victim of internet trolling on Twitter. Nasty individuals who hid behind a cloak of anonymity because they dare not say anything face to face but were willing to post disgusting untrue comments openly....these are true trolls who TARGET individuals with the sole purpose of causing distress but keep their identities hidden

*However we have to be careful here about an individuals perception of what 'trolling' really means...

Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterise a post as trolling while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial.*

In the same way some people may feel they are being bullied on the internet but in fact are not.....it is purely down to their perception and investigations would prove that to be the case.

However, true trolls should be made to pay for their crimes.

Edited to add the section between * stars* is taken from Wikipedia

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

A family member of mine was a victim of internet trolling on Twitter. Nasty individuals who hid behind a cloak of anonymity because they dare not say anything face to face but were willing to post disgusting untrue comments openly....these are true trolls who TARGET individuals with the sole purpose of causing distress but keep their identities hidden

However we have to be careful here about an individuals perception of what 'trolling' really means...

Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterise a post as trolling while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial.

In the same way some people may feel they are being bullied on the internet but in fact are not.....it is purely down to their perception and investigations would prove that to be the case.

However, true trolls should be made to pay for their crimes.

I believe this link to Wikipedia explains the best way that I've come across what the term 'internet troll' can mean. 

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]"

My thoughts : 

When I reply to someone on any forum I try to always be ubra careful on how I construct that reply ,as not to unintentionally come across the wrong way.

I speak to people how I expect to be spoken to. 

Message 12 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is yet another example that technology can be a useful thing or when in the wrong hands can cause a lot of harm. And because of that us "Innocent users"(:happy-smiley58:) have to be extra careful like you said @Cleoriff because we don't want to be mistaken with them.

I must say I agree that the real trolls should be prosecuted but I think the real question is when/how will it work, who decides who is a troll and who is just a nasty person voicing their opinions?What r they gonna do with underage "trolls"?

Message 13 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why we have a judicial system that's supposed to work. 

Evidence accrued and judged upon.  

Under 18's are much more savvy on what they are doing nowadays generally ,and as such the juvenile departments should deal with the guilty ones just as they deal with adults. 

Message 14 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

hopefully...still think the "system" will go easy on them just because they r not adults yet...we will see...Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

hopefully...still think the "system" will go easy on them just because they r not adults yet...we will see...Smiley Frustrated

Must admit the trolls that attacked my young family member got their come-uppance when I got involved ....bringing with me the police and other 'authorities'....:smileywink:

Obviously I can say no more openly....but I was quite pleased with the outcome....

They were truly disgusting shameful characters....who thought they could say what they liked behind a cloak of invisibilty.....Mmmm yeah right....Evil

Then we have the trolls who, when unmasked, can't take the humiliation (as shown by the one calling herself  Sweepyface in the McCanns case)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 35

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Genuine internet trolls should rightly be prosecuted and be prepared to face the consequences. Bullying is nasty and cause heartbreak and distress to innocent victims, especially our children That angers me.

However, bullying on a community? This is the second time a member of this community has made a refernce to it and this too makes me angry. I have seen no bullying past or present on here just disagreement between members and I think the two concerned parties should have a long hard look at themselves.

Some people seem to think they can post lies, live in an imaginary world, post inconsistencies, make claims to be an expert in all things and make poor excuses when found out. These are the type of people who complain to admin that they are being bullied when in fact they themselves are a cause of complete disharmony, causing people to leave the community because they hasve a certain protection and cannot openly post their feelings.

My personal choice is to ignore the bad apples and carry on helping where able and pointing out inaccuracies where necessary.

This community is rather unique in itself, no limits as to subject matter of threads which should make it much more than a community, more threads for the less technical people to be able to join in, have a laugh and friendly banter. When like minded members have been around for any length of time they soon get to know one another. If someone feels they aren't part of that, it is hardly bullying. Much more a case of being found out.

Message 17 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Genuine internet trolls should rightly be prosecuted and be prepared to face the consequences. Bullying is nasty and cause heartbreak and distress to innocent victims, especially our children That angers me.

However, bullying on a community? This is the second time a member of this community has made a refernce to it and this too makes me angry. I have seen no bullying past or present on here just disagreement between members and I think the two concerned parties should have a long hard look at themselves.

Some people seem to think they can post lies, live in an imaginary world, post inconsistencies, make claims to be an expert in all things and make poor excuses when found out. These are the type of people who complain to admin that they are being bullied when in fact they themselves are a cause of complete disharmony, causing people to leave the community because they hasve a certain protection and cannot openly post their feelings.

My personal choice is to ignore the bad apples and carry on helping where able and pointing out inaccuracies where necessary.

This community is rather unique in itself, no limits as to subject matter of threads which should make it much more than a community, more threads for the less technical people to be able to join in, have a laugh and friendly banter. When like minded members have been around for any length of time they soon get to know one another. If someone feels they aren't part of that, it is hardly bullying. Much more a case of being found out.

@jonsie I may be wrong but no one in this particular thread has said "bullying" goes on in the O2 Community Forum. 

Message 18 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

As usual I stand in awe of that completely honest post by @jonsie ....Thank you....

As I said in my first post and stand by it....bullying is open to perception by the individual...

On this (or any other) forum some of us see it as the right to have our say...or not say anything.....as the case may be...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 35

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

bandofbrothers wrote:

My thoughts :

About time a sentence reflects the crime.

Such activities can affect someone's life so much in many ways including the worst case scenario.

Some people don't realise what they say / how they say it and how they treat others on forums can hurt ,and sadly some actually do !

@jonsie I may be wrong but no one in this particular thread has said "bullying" goes on in the O2 Community Forum. 

Apologies if that wasn't your intention but that's how I interpreted your post...

Message 20 of 35