Did you mean: 

New Android Malware 'HighJack Rat' attacks mobile banking users

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93271 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Yet another one to watch out for!

I'm not sure just how serious this is but just a headsup for everyone.

It's important that you check app permissions when downloading them from any source but preferably only download from Google Playstore. Even then, double check.

Source : http://thehackernews.com/2014/07/new-android-malware-hijackrat-attacks.html

"Cybercriminals have rolled out a new malicious Android application that wraps different varieties of banking fraud trick into a single piece of advanced mobile malware.

GOOGLE SERVICE FRAMEWORK - APPLICATION OR MALWARE?

Security researchers at the security firm FireEye have came across a malicious Android application that binds together the latest and older hijacking techniques. The malicious Android app combines private data theft, banking credential theft and spoofing, and remote access into a single unit, where traditional malware has had only one such capability included in it.

Researchers dubbed the malware as HijackRAT, a banking trojan that comes loaded with a malicious Android application which disguises itself as “Google Service Framework,” first and the most advanced Android malware sample of its kind ever discovered, combining all the three malicious activities together."

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Thanks for the tip off jonsie, one to be aware of! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for the heads up @jonsie

Much appreciated.

slight_smile
Message 3 of 14

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks for alerting us jonsie

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 93271 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Completely off topic but it's fantastic to see @perksie on here again. Welcome my friend Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thank you for raising this jonsie!

Lovely to see you back perksie slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 124225 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up @jonsie ...and yes yes yes...lovely to see @perksie back on Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks indeed @jonsie I would rarely come across reports like that without a nudge from people like your good self.  But it worries the life out of me - even though my use of mobile phone apps is quite restricted (I don't do social media type apps, or stream music/games etc) but I know that does not guarantee me safety online.   It is worrying too to read that having Anti-virus software running is unlikely to catch any viruses.  And the last thing I would mention is that I notice now when I want to download an update to an app from the Google Play Store (I never use any other source) it merely tells me that no further permissions are needed so I have to backtrack to have a look at what permissions already exist before deciding whther to update or uninstall.

Gerry

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi guys

I have subscribed to this thread, for knowledge, thank you all Thanks!

completely off-subjet

I'm pleased to see you too perksie slight_smile

you don't know me 

but I believe we have had an interest in common ie ballroom dancing .....

if I remember rightly when browsing the 'Spotlight' feature a bit of time ago ..... = ..... my short-term memory is getting impaired as I get older

if I have done this post inappropriately then I extend my apologies

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It is worrying too to read that having Anti-virus software running is unlikely to catch any viruses.  

Having Anti-Virus running is always a precaution and no AV software or app should ever claim to be 100% effective against all viruses. There will always be viruses out there that your AV software of choice probably won't detect, all you can do is opt for the best option which provides you with the best protection in your opinion (be that a free or paid solution).

Similarly, Antivirus software will not necessarily protect you from all Malware, which is what this "HighJackRat" appears to be. Malware is completely different to viruses and although most AV software will detect malwars and potentially unwanted applications (PUA), they will not detect or remove as well as dedicated anti-malware software will.

Message 10 of 14