cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft announces Project xCloud, xbox gaming on any device

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2018/10/08/project-xcloud-gaming-with-you-at-the-center/

As a former owner of an Xbox 360 who gave up console gaming again when it was overtaken by the One this seems appealing although considering Onlive tried this and failed it will be interesting to see how they go about it although considering how extensive Microsoft's data centre and network resources are they might just be able to pull it off.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Took them long enough..
It's actually surprising Microsoft are the last gaming platform to offer this feature.
Message 2 of 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So someone in Microsoft said, what do we do with all these unsold XBoxOne's? Up pops some sarcastic comment: lets put them in the cloud and charge people to access them with a subscription....

Somehow I doubt we'll see many games going beyond the usual FPV shooter and driving games which is likely to see a massive jump in paying to unlock exclusive features on specific devices. I'd like to see how they implement security features as its far too easy for it to be abused leaving massive issues for parents linking credit cards to the games their children play online.

Sheepdog in "Call of Duty Fortnite Forza VII: GTA Black-ops edition" mode

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

And the minimum requirements will be max fibre broadband, putting a fair bit of the UK out of the picture. 

Another ddosable, hackable server with all your details on.. 

Curmudgeon in *what a load of technical tw*ttery mode*

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And the minimum requirements will be max fibre broadband, putting a fair bit of the UK out of the picture. 

Another ddosable, hackable server with all your details on.. 

Curmudgeon in *what a load of technical tw*ttery mode*

@Anonymous

There's no such thing as an unhackable system. all you can do is make the task as time consuming as possible (use of large prime numbers in the case of encryption, etc)

Considering there's now Openreach, Cityfibre. Virgin Media, Hyperoptic and Gigaclear all working on fibre optic rollouts I think the UK will be covered sooner than you think.

Message 5 of 7

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous that may be the case for cities and large towns but us out in the villages and places where these companies won't be making a profit, we're not going to get the benefit of all these marketing campaigns of faster internet. The choice is literally one* where I live: OpenReach since TalkTalk are the only other LLU in the local exchange and effectively use OpenReach. 

Saying that, we do have fibre now (38Mbits/9Mbits) in our village - came available earlier this year, cables actually laid down 4/5 years ago - which is plenty fast considering its using overhead cables. Irony is that the green cabinet is almost outside our door yet the actual route goes over the road, up a pole across the same road again to another pole which is then connected to a pole in our back garden before coming into the house.

Whether or not it will be a minimum requirement for future gaming, I don't know but the interesting thing about the MS implementation will be the codecs for streaming that will be the breakthrough if it scales.  

*apart from 4G 

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog

It all depends when the line was put in of course which I have first hand experience of.

I had a line measured at 3 km but where I live was built before BT put in another exchange less than half a mile away.

I asked if my line could be rerouted onto the newer exchange and was told it probably could but was likely to cost at least £2k for Openreach to actually do it!

Message 7 of 7