Masters Tournament 2019 started today! ⛳️

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Photo of a person golfing

Hi guys,

The Masters Tournament 2019, one of the biggest professional golf tournaments, starts today and lasts until 14th April. This takes place on the Augusta National Golf Course in Georgia, USA, every year. You can see the course layout and other info about it on their website here!

I'm not too familiar with professional golf myself to be honest - I've actually never set foot on a golf course (unless you count mini golf?), but I did read a few interesting facts about the Masters that I thought I'd post here! grin

• The tournament was established 85 years ago (in 1934)
  • The Augusta National Golf Club, where it takes place, is one of the most famous golf clubs in the world. This land used to be a plant nursery!
  • Since 1949, every champion is awarded a Green Jacket for the duration of one year following their victory, after which they have to return it to a special cloakroom at the club. Someone found one of these jackets in a charity shop in the 1990s for 5 dollars, and after realising it was authentic, sold it for 140k according to this article!
  • There is a Champions Dinner held before the tournament. The menu is created by the previous year's winner. I read on a BBC Sports article that "In 1997, England's Nick Faldo chose tomato soup followed by fish and chips. In 2012, Charl Schwartzel requested a South African braai - a type of barbecue - with monkey gland sauce." 

Do any of you follow professional golf? If so, what's the highlight normally in this tournament if you're tuning in? Do any of you play golf yourselves? slight_smile

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Wow! open_mouth I have heard the name Niki Lauda but didn't know about the big accident @Cleoriff .

Message 11 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Wow! open_mouth I have heard the name Niki Lauda but didn't know about the big accident @Cleoriff .

Yes he is a real legend of F1 @Marjo 

Now a shareholder in Mercedes and is always on the pitwall during every race. Sadly, late last year he had to have a lung transplant. (His lungs were badly affected during that fire) He was hoping to return this season, but has had 2 bouts of pneumonia since surgery in October. He is still hoping to return despite all that. Not bad for an 'old man' aged 70.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I was so pleased Tiger Woods won (apart from a Brit in with a chance). This guy was at the top of his sport, suffered injury and became addicted to medication. He was kicked from pillar to tree by the media and wrote off as a has-bean. Despite family problems he got back at the age of 43. He deserved his moment of glory 11 years after his last Major. I too love the Masters and it's brilliant setting.

Message 13 of 13