Masters Tournament 2019 started today! ⛳️

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Photo of a person golfing

Hi guys,

The Masters Tournament 2019, one of the biggest professional golf tournaments, starts today and lasts until 14th April. This takes place on the Augusta National Golf Course in Georgia, USA, every year. You can see the course layout and other info about it on their website here!

I'm not too familiar with professional golf myself to be honest - I've actually never set foot on a golf course (unless you count mini golf?), but I did read a few interesting facts about the Masters that I thought I'd post here! grin

• The tournament was established 85 years ago (in 1934)
  • The Augusta National Golf Club, where it takes place, is one of the most famous golf clubs in the world. This land used to be a plant nursery!
  • Since 1949, every champion is awarded a Green Jacket for the duration of one year following their victory, after which they have to return it to a special cloakroom at the club. Someone found one of these jackets in a charity shop in the 1990s for 5 dollars, and after realising it was authentic, sold it for 140k according to this article!
  • There is a Champions Dinner held before the tournament. The menu is created by the previous year's winner. I read on a BBC Sports article that "In 1997, England's Nick Faldo chose tomato soup followed by fish and chips. In 2012, Charl Schwartzel requested a South African braai - a type of barbecue - with monkey gland sauce." 

Do any of you follow professional golf? If so, what's the highlight normally in this tournament if you're tuning in? Do any of you play golf yourselves? slight_smile

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I used to play -3 times a week and got to  handicap of 9. I won a 4-ball tournament at my local golf club in Manchester but that was when I was in my thirties. Family and business then became more important and I haven't played for years.

Go Rory!!

Message 2 of 13

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ooh sounds like you're a good golfer then @jonsie ! grin

Rory McIlroy? slight_smile Here he is discussing (article from 9th April) what he thinks could help him win the Masters title!

Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123322 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

No interest in golf at all ...sorry.

I will be far too busy watching the 1000th Formula1 race which takes place in China this weekend. Bouncy tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10787 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hi @Marjo 

I have never played Golf.

It seems like a good sport to keep fit though ~ nice surroundings and walking.

That last hole the 19th? that could be the dangerous one though (for health I mean) wink

Read @Cleoriff  too slow for her I fear! heart_eyes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123322 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Friends of mine play golf and enjoy it. I have never had the interest (or time) smiling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Wow the 1000th Formula 1 race! That's pretty cool. slight_smile Looking forward to reading how that goes @Cleoriff .

@TallTrees Yeah there's a lot of space to walk, although aren't they using those little golf cars (what do you call them?) to get around? Thoughful

I mentioned that I've never played actual golf. Mini golf on the other hand I do play occasionally, and going again with some colleagues in May! I also play a golf-themed card game on my mobile but that doesn't really compare to real golf either. sweat_smile I would like to try a starter lesson some day though. I'm sure it's much tougher than it looks and could be a good challenge!

Message 7 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10787 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hi @Marjo 

It is an expensive hobby ~ may have changed now but the Clubs yearly subscriptions were high.

Then there is all the "kit"  club for this and a club for that and you have to "look the part" 

Golf carts!yahoo  The clubs I have visited there were no carts!  Probably Old Britain thoughrofl

Anyway it is a good &  healthy sport lovely views and spaces.  Mini Golf ~ splendid about my size too!

enjoy the game when you go Marjo.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this thread

I just luv that particular USA golf course in Augusta ... Lovely to know that it was once a plant nursery ... ... ... will tell my mum Olwen, she's like to know that

I find watching golf on the tv sooo relaxing ... & ... enjoy looking at 'the scenery'

I have only every done crazy golf at the seaside ... or ... pitch & put in our local park

I can well remember Tony Jacklyn getting the 1st ever live televised 'hole in one'

I don't do sport ... but ... can really enjoy such as sportsmen / sportswomen at the top of their game

Sooo TIGER WOODS won clap trophy champagne_glass earth smiling

Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123322 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Not a fan of golf (or Tiger Woods if honest)

I was furious when the BBC started rambling on about 'the biggest comeback ever seen in the history of sport' when he won.

They seem to have forgotten about this fella....Niki Lauda who survived this ...Germany 1976

Image result for Niki Lauda crash

Sustained serious burns to his head, neck and throat. Was on life support and given the last rites in hospital.

Image result for Niki Lauda crash

Then came back SIX weeks later to race again.... winning world championships in 1977 and 1984

Now THAT's what I call the 'biggest comeback ever'....trophy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13