Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinda Completely Off Topic

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heyies Peeps,

Meh - Kind need help with something and you might find it funny laughing

How do you cook a darn "egg" thoughties i know bit of a stupid question butties i keep screwing uppies 

Is there like a way or putting it in a microwave or something I can never get it right sad face 😞

Thinking to myself how do i mess something simple up and go thru 26 eggs 

I am kinda a bad cook but an awesome takeaway orderer 

Thought I would like you take on this and what is the right and propa way 

EmoLMarrio

Message 1 of 122
121 REPLIES 121

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Here's a question, @Fellwalker: Is the Ormo bakery named after the Ormeau road in Belfast?

Message 51 of 122

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@pgn yes that's the one
Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 52 of 122

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Thought so, @Fellwalker - thanks! Their batch loaves are very tasty, especially the ultra-thick heels 😋

Irwins seem to have cornered the batch loaf market, though. 

Message 53 of 122

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Thought so, @Fellwalker - thanks! Their batch loaves are very tasty, especially the ultra-thick heels 😋

Irwins seem to have cornered the batch loaf market, though. 

Sadly we don't get over there more than once or twice a year now.  But you can occasionally get wheaten, potato farls and soda bread in English supermarkets nowadays - it just doesn't taste the same.  Hard to beat fried fadge with your bacon and egg, even though I'm a Yorkshireman.

If we carry on like this you'll be talking about brown (somehow always pronounced brauyn) lemonade and yellow man.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 54 of 122

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions
Brown lemonade or poteen with an aniseed ball dissolved in it? tongue_winking

Prefer a Crunchie to a slab of yellow man, tbh.

Not many fells to walk here, there are a few glens though 😁

Message 55 of 122

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

For my sins I worked at Warburton's Bakery for just over a year after I'd had enough of tinkering with cars in an awful winter. I could tell you some tales.... 

The smell of fresh bread was nice at first but but you get used to it and on 12 hour shift days and nights it's no longer a welcome smell when loaves are coming down a conveyor belt at you while you are feeding them through a wrapping and slicing machine. 

That was in 1978 when unions could hold the country to ransom by bringing it to a standstill. I'd been there 3 months, when... you guessed it.... the workers, goaded by the Union area reps, voted for a strike.... for more dough... no don't laugh 😂 for more money actually! 

Now those days a strike wasn't for 2 days or 3, it was until management caved in. Nearly a month we were on strike and that was all bakeries across the country so no bread on supermarket shelves for people to bulk buy and no freezers to put loaves in even if they could get them from the local bakery shops.

We had to live on strike pay which was a few quid a week whilst Union leaders sat back on full pay with not a care in the world. It was a breadline {😉) existence for those of us who had mortgages or rent to pay.

We had a union meeting every week to vote on the latest offer from management but in those days meetings were held outside at a time convenient to Union reps but not to night time workers who worked until 7am and then had to drag themselves out of bed to vote. 

No ballot boxes then, it was by a show of hands where you could turn round and look who voted yay or nay. Obviously if you didn't want to be labelled a scab, you voted with the more militant or more importantly with your mates. But as the strike began to bite {no I did not mention bread!} on both the public and us workers, the majority of the yays over the nays narrowed week on week as management stuck with the original and final offer.

At the end of the 4th week the worker overwhelmingly voted to return to work immediately. What we gained out of the strike was peanuts in terms of money in your pocket and compared to what we lost on strike pay was a joke. Ok we had slightly more money and gained parity with the rest of the country whereby we got 3 weeks holiday a year rather than 2 weeks, as well as a slight improvement in working conditions. It took people a good while to recover and coming some five years after the 3 day week this country was in a mess. I was ok because I was working cash in hand for my previous employer in the garage where I served my apprenticeship.

Thankfully a certain Maggie came along and sorted out the big Unions... 

Message 56 of 122

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122827 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I remember that strike well @jonsie.

This is when I needed my Mum to teach me how to make bread. (I had never tried to do this before.. being far too busy nursing people :smileytongue:)

Luckily she was the type of person who had made her own bread for years. Also (fortunately for me) stockpiled goods when they were on offer.

So she taught me how to make bread. It was never as good as hers, she knew that would be the case so baked me two loaves a week herself.

This was also the time when loads of recipes appeared, showing us how to make bread quickly, without yeast.

Those loaves were usually inedible. (it was 1978 and breadmaking machines weren't available then).

Blimey, those were the days....Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 57 of 122

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Interesting account there, @jonsie, loved the way you threaded the bread references in there - a case of kneading the dough, I guess money_mouth  - employers had the dough, the workers kneaded it... Weird  

Not living in the UK back then, I did not experience all the hardship caused by the baker's strike, thankfully.

Message 58 of 122

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Poppysmum wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gonna show this thread to my recovery/support worker Tuesday sweat_smile

Great to hear wink

Maybe they will join the O2 forum as well @Anonymous. Not only will they get advice on all things egg related. ....they will be able to learn a lot about mobile phones as well. Smiley Very Happy

Glad i not drinking my coffee or it would be all over my laptop after reading this @Cleoriff i am sat hyear laughing LOL

Hope support worker likes a good laugh grin

My support / recovery worker gonna think i cant cook haha and reading it all back hmm joyrofljoy

Message 59 of 122

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nawhies @jonsie Virtual Huggies and a Massive Cookie. upside_down

Message 60 of 122