Did you mean: 

It's time to say goodbye

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

time-to-say-goodbye-sad-singing-will-ferrell-umaqgfk45nutv1ef.gif

After a 15 year career with O2, now Virgin Media O2, where for 10 of those years I was directly involved in the O2 Community in a professional capacity, my role is unfortunately being made redundant. Because of my time here, because of what I do and because so many of you know me, I didn't want to leave without a proper goodbye.

I was made aware my role was at risk a few weeks ago which is why you may have noticed a decline in my activities here while I worked things out and explored options to stay within VMO2, but sadly as it currently stands I'll be exiting the business on 15 December.

What now? Will the Community change?
I'll be winding down activities over the next few weeks but I leave you in the more than capable hands of @Dave-O2, and of course @ColinO2 will still be here too to oversee things. It's unlikely you'll see much/any major changes after I depart but what the future of the Community looks like - that'll be something that Colin and Dave will look at more closely I'm sure. Trust me when I say, we all know how important the Community is, how vital all of your support is, and it's absolutely a huge priority for Colin - so I have faith the Community will grow and get stronger over time, and I'd like to ask that you also keep that faith.

What will I do next?
I've got a couple of weeks of employment left with VMO2 where I can hopefully figure things out. Over the years I've built a lot of skills outside of my job description so if I can find a role at another company where I have the trust and freedom to combine all those things like I did with my current role, then that would be the dream.

Will I stick around on the O2 Community?

Absolutely - but in a purely personal capacity, and likely nowhere near as much. I'm proud of the work I've done on the O2 Community for over a decade - and whether it's pride, or maybe even a little ego, I want to keep my name associated with the good stuff I've done here, like my annual Apple Megathreads that have become a tradition and institution not just here but across the business, or my Scams guide that has the potential to help and support a massive number of customers.

Didn't you manage the Social Media team? What will happen there?

As some of you know, there's not just one team within the VMO2 Social Media function. I managed one of the teams (the one Dave's in). Another Chris, who manages another one of those teams will be ingesting my team - so you won't notice much/any change from a Social Media perspective and it'll be all business as usual across on Twitter (X), Facebook and Instagram - but other Chris's role will be 100% focused on supporting his team, so it's unlikely you'll see him around here.

I'll still be around for a couple more weeks but you'll likely see much less of me. Until I leave, please only tag me into anything you don't feel Dave can support with, but in his short time so far on the Community I have seen how well he has been able to integrate so I have every confidence that you're in good hands with him.

It's been a privilege and a pleasure being part of your community for all these years. Thank you for trusting the support and information I have provided, and a special thank you from me to all of our regulars who provide such a valuable service while asking for nothing in return. You'll always be the true heroes here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6607 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Really sorry to here this. Having, in another incarnation, been a senior shop steward and having faced members being made redundant, I know the raw emotions that go with such actions.

In the end it became my turn, again after a take over, but it turned out OK in the end. 

Best wishes for the future, take this time to think, about what you REALLY want to do.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 19

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Thanks Enlli. Sorry, I should have tried to say it in my first post - but the whole point of this is really just to fill everyone in. The Community has been a big part of my job for a long time and I feel a connection with it, the members and our regulars and because I've been part of the furniture for so long, I felt our regulars deserved a proper goodbye instead of me just fading away silently. 

I've accepted what's happened and I'll hopefully find a new challenge to take on somewhere else - so yeah, this isn't me fishing for any sympathy or anything... I've had a good career with this business and I'll leave with some mostly fond memories. I'll also be leaving the business with absolutely no regrets whatsoever - which I feel is a good way to leave any business.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 3 of 19

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4417 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to see you go @Chris_K 

You've been an asset to the company as well as an asset to the community and I want to wish you every success in whatever path you choose to follow.

Message 4 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

A sad day

All the very best for your future career @Chris_K and be in no doubt that you will be very much missed here on the community

Message 5 of 19

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to hear the sad news that you`ll be leaving @Chris_K 

Many years ago I was made redundant from a lead position with a telecommunications company at Xmas time, so have some vague idea of what you have been faced with, Chris.  

Having been part of the Community for so long [way before I joined], I know you will be missed.

I wish you well with whatever you take up in the future and hope you will drop by here as and when you can. Take care.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Very sorry to read this, @Chris_K. You've been a stalwart here for a long time, and this community will be much the poorer without you. Best of luck for whatever you choose to do in the future.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Words fail me so I'll just wish you the best of luck for the future Chris.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 19

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

Best of luck @Chris_K you will be sorely missed around here, and its VMo2's loss to lose you and all that experience .. 

We are seeing the same at my workplace where people with all the experience are leaving, and thus leaving a big knowledge gap... But I am sure one of the other networks or ISP's will snap you up... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Chris_K 

I am so shocked at this news. Speechless that VMO2 would let someone of your experience go!

I want to thank you for all the support you have given me personally and professionally.

You have been a real asset to the community and the company.

You will be sorely missed. I wish you all the best for whatever you choose to do in the future.

Please keep in touch. xx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19