Did you mean: 

It's World Book Day!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

The 5th of March is World Book day which is a yearly event designed to celebrate authors, illustrators and book readers across the globe! It's also a great day to encourage reading amongst children which is no easy task in the days of mobile Internet and screens in every room. 

Books on a shelf

To mark the occasion lets have a discussion about books! Do you read regularly or have you found you've fallen out of the habit in the information age? 

I'm currently re-reading World War Z by max brooks, which tells the story of humanities fightback against a zombie apocalypse from the point of view of a UN investigator after the fact. It's much better then the movie in my opinion and I'd highly recommend! 

What would you say your all time favourite book is and what are you currently reading? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 

I read every single day. I don't use a Kindle as I love books , the look, feel and smell of a new book is unbeatable. I can read a book in 1-2 days. I panic when I see my stock diminishing fearful

I have quite a wide taste/range of books I like. Psychological thrillers, Horror, Crime, Mystery, History, even Romance. Not very keen on fantasy (shock, horror!) rofl

I am quite selective with autobiographies though. Some I read avidly, others I have no interest in at all.

Favourite authors are too many to list. I will mention Stephen King, Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Dean Koontz, Harlen Coben, Sarah Morgan, Alex Marwood, Tami Hoag, Georgette Heyer.  etc etc etc etc.

Currently reading Golden In Death by JD Robb. aka Nora Roberts. The In Death series is set in New York in the future (2060) and centres round a female cop, Eve Dallas, who isn't afraid to kick ass. innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only book I’ve ever loved was Danny Champion of the World!
Message 3 of 23

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Totally agree about having a physical copy @Cleoriff. There's something great about a new book and I do love the look of a well stocked book shelf! 

I enjoy a fairly wide range of genre's but can't say I've ever read a Romantic novel laughing

@Anonymous I've read a fair few of Roald Dahl's books over the years but I've never read Danny Champion of the World! I'll have to check it out! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 23

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10662 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @Martin-O2
I think a book is much better than a movie.
Haven't had a chance to settle down with one recently. I use books for reference alot.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 23

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I love books. My lounge has two tall bookcases full and my spare bedroom is a library.

Most are non-fiction, with my love of history and inventions, although I do have some fiction.

It probably comes as no surprise [to those who know me on here] that two of my favourite books are Alice`s Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass.  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 23

JamieB14
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I'm not a huge reader but I'll make exceptions for certain books. Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography for one and Rapture (which is from the game Bioshock) as another 😀
Message 7 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Kindle only for me as I don't have room fo the amount of books I would get through in a year. A good book I get through in a few day, aso-so book no more than a week.

My preferred genre is police procedurals, detectives and the likes of Jack Reacher books by Lee Childs.

Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Jack Reacher books @jonsie 

Favourite book of all time = Lord of the Rings by JR Tolkien

I like a new, preferrably hardback book, simply because it is easier for me to hold and generally has bigger font and is almost double line spaced

Currently reading Slough House series by Mick Herron ... MI5 / spies / espionage / dirty tricks department - 1st book in series = Slow Horses refers to x-top performers who have blotted their copybook or someone dropped them in it.

1st two books bought with my £20 Amazon gift voucher for contributing threads to the Christmas 2019 Advent calendar ... listen avidly to BBC Radio Four's Book at Bedtime and Book of the Week and one of Mick Herron's Slough House novellas was abridged and it left the listener wondering ... sooo back into reading which I'm enjoying at home and in my 2nd home which is Herriots hotel, bar, lounge and restaurant

It's a great feeling to loose myself in a book/s again

Fantasy + Crime + Thriller + Romance + Biography + Cat books, fiction and non-fiction

Message 9 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I forget to mention a couple of best books I've read recently.

Doctor Sleep  and The Institute...both by Stephen King. Doctor Sleep is a follow on from The Shining and is about the child Danny Torrance who has now grown up.

I went off SK for some time when he meandered off into his fantasy books. Now he is back doing what he does best, writing damn good horror stories.

PS, there is a mini series running on Sky Atlantic currently. The Outsider from the book by Stephen King. It's very good.  Only problem, it's 10 episodes when they could have completed it in 6.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 23