Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal Wildlife Trade Campaign

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125963 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

A global campaign has been launched to try and stamp out the illegal trade in wildlife

Conservationists are hoping the public can help.They have developed a smartphone app that allows people to submit images and data of suspicious items on sale, possibly helping enforcement agencies.

http://www.wildlifewitness.net/

In recent years, there has been a resurgence in the poaching of threatened species which affects the long-term survival of iconic animals such as tigers and rhinos.

Some horrific and sickening statistics below

Activity in the illegal ivory trade has more than doubled since 2007, with ivory reaching a price of US $2,205 (£1,526) per kilogram in Beijing.

Rhino horn was reaching mind-blowing prices of US $66,000 per kilogram - more than the price of gold or platinum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36226312

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I really hope this app will help in some way..though I'm sceptical. I sign every petition to encourage authorities to take action in babrbaric treatment of animals. The greed and the slaughter of these beautiful animals..especially for rich goodies for the ignorant..make me sick x

giphy-3
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 125963 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

It's a long shot I agree...but if people can be punished for selling then hopefully this could lead to the poachers. I don't know. It's better than doing nothing.

I fear though, there is so much corruption in the higher echelons of the governments of the countries involved that people will do anything to line their own pockets. Disgusting barbaric trade.

About 30 years ago I hated zoos and wildlife parks with a passion. Now I think it's the only way these iconic animals will survive...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Totally agree with everything you said @Cleoriff. I love the sanctuaries where animals are saved and allowed to see out their days without fear. It is a corrupt, greed infested world we live in, and I can't see that changing. But if it helps some then it's been worthwhile x

giphy-3
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23989 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

If people aren't aware by now of the illegal trade in wildlife, then they've been living with their heads in the sand. Anything that keeps it to the fore is a good thing, but to be honest, I don't think an app is going to help much. What needs to happen is that people need to be educated, and to learn that elephant tusk or rhino horn won't cure anything, and these myths and old wive's tales need to disappear from folklore once and for all. If they don't, the only way they'll be dispelled is when these animals are hunted to extinction.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 125963 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

When you see that Rhino horn is worth more than gold or platinum I fear education is a long way off...Greed will prevail sadly...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 125963 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Linking in with this... In April Kenya burnt it's stockpile of ivory to make a statement that they are committed to saving elephants. The ivory was confiscated and represents the tusks of 6,700 elephants.

Conservationists were against the destruction as they said it would only encourage more poaching...

This is only some of the ivory...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-36176756

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

They need to cut out demand by making it instant 10 year imprisonment for buying or owning ivory products and powders. Cut the demand and you cut the problem. The people buying ivory and funding the poachers are too me far more to blame in this trade.

And let's not forget, many of the proceeds from this illegal trade go to financing terrorists but the whole point is that there are people only too willing to buy.

Message 8 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I saw one story where horns and tusks were dyed pink to make them worthless in market, apparently it was working at reducing poaching.
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I've seen programmes where horns and tusks are removed painlessly whilst in the wild so that hunting them is pointless. Sad to see them like this but until man controls his greed any measures to maintain the species is welcomed.

Message 10 of 12