cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If BoJo becomes PM would it make you consider leaving the country?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I might give it some serious thought as I've always fancied the idea of living in the Republic of Ireland.

What about you?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Everyone laughed when I said this would happen years ago...
100/1 back then...
Message 2 of 15

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Still they persist in chasing unicorns... I think moving to anywhere that isn't England would be a plus, 'cos everyone's going to suffer for a fairly long time.

Even the great British pound has tumbled, at $1.25 and €1.12... (vs. €1.43 before' the' referendum).

🤡
Message 3 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

If I could afford to then most definitely yes. But for both health and financial reasons I'll remain here, God help me.

The bufoon he pretends to be is not really him. He's quite a clever bloke who acts the fool but is anything but. I think he's extremely dangerous, in fact and fear for this country should he become PM.

We would be like America with Trump as President as BoJo's views are similar as regards Muslims for a start, worrying to me and I'm not Muslim.

I think he would take this country down a road it should never go and make us as hated, if not more so, than America already is round the world.

So, to me, a very frightening future awaits this country if, as is very, very possible, he becomes PM!!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No it wouldn't. I can't say I like the bloke at all, there again there have been very few PM's I have liked (apart from Tony Blair when he was FIRST elected..and look how that turned out!!)

My health would prevent me travelling anyway but even if that wasn't the case, where would you go?

Years ago we bought a place in Spain, the bureaucracy there would drive me mad long term. At 1pm Saturday, the place shuts down till Monday 10am. Online shopping is a pipe dream. 

About 25 years ago we thought it would be great to emigrate to the U.S.. Look who they have as their president now. Add to that the cost of health care.

Years ago when I first qualified as a nurse we did think of emigrating to Australia, but life, children and jobs got in the way.

I think some places are great for holidays, these shouldn't be confused with living there long term.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Add to that, although it may be buckling at it's knees, we are the only country in the world to have the NHS. At my time of life, and the care they have given me, which is ongoing, is another reason for staying put.

We own our own house and due to the professions we were in, both me and my other half are comfortably off.

So I have lived though many prime ministers and survived them all. This one will make no difference to me whatsoever. There again, I'm no spring chicken and people aged between 30-55 may have a very different view of it all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't really afford to move anywhere either.

@Cleoriff 

Most of Blair's detractors don't tend to say much when you point out that Labour was elected for a third term even after Iraq.

@Glory1 

Absolutely, the buffoon act just lets Boris get away with saying and doing things that would have ended the careers of most MPs but he does it because he believes it endears him to the public, everyone except the ones on the end of his barbed comments.

Message 6 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I couldn't really afford to move anywhere either.

@Cleoriff 

Most of Blair's detractors don't tend to say much when you point out that Labour was elected for a third term even after Iraq.

@Glory1 

Absolutely, the buffoon act just lets Boris get away with saying and doing things that would have ended the careers of most MPs but he does it because he believes it endears him to the public, everyone except the ones on the end of his barbed comments.

Well I'm not so sure the public love him to be honest. If fools genuinely think him a buffoon do you want a buffoon running the country if we do finally leave the EU? And for those that know better, they definitely don't want him as PM. Or any PM they didn't actually vote for! All my friends, many of whom are Conservatives, hate him. They see him for what he is and are terrified of him becoming PM and what he will do to an already divided UK.

I'm dreading the thought of him as PM, though I have to agree with @Cleoriff, I've managed in nearly 50 years of living here, to survive the best and the worst. So hopefully will survive him too

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bojo will chum up with Trumpy

TRUMPY IS A WARMONGERER - BLONDE BOMBER BUFFOON BORIS WILL BE HIS INFERIOR SIDE-KICK

THEY BOTH LIKE DOING DEALS

FAVE PRIME MINISTER IS TONY BLAIR = 3 TERMS IN OFFICE = HE DID A LOT OF GOOD, BUT WILL GO DOWN FOR THE IRAQ WAR ... HE ALSO SAID EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION & DID NOT MAKE GOOD ON IT ... THE STUDENTS ARE THE COUNTRY'S NOW & FUTURE VOTERS ... US PENSIONERS ALWAYS TURN OUT TO VOTE

MY POLITICAL COLOURS ARE GOLDEN YELLOW 

THE NHS IS AN ABSOLUTE GODSEND TO ME AND MY LOVED ONES ... ANEURIN BEVAN'S AN ABSOLUTE HERO Hero

NO, I WOULD NOT CONSIDER LEAVING THE COUNTRY, WITH MY HEALTH AND CLOSE FAMILY LIVING HERE  

Message 8 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Saw this rather amusing (and horribly awkward) video of an Eddie Mair interview of the BoJo recently.

Having done some more research, it's not new - the interview was done in 2013, but think it still relevant given it goes through some of his rather chequered past.

There are two version, the full one (15 minutes) or the really awkard part (3 minutes).

Full interview:

3 minute "highlights":

Back on topic: I am torn about this. I think that he could be a complete car crash, and am really not convinced about him as a person. What is worse is who is he is up against, and how much (or little) faith I have in any of them to do a good job.

I am not in a position to be able to leave (job/house/family/etc), nor would I be sure I would want to (health care in all it's forms, cost of living in other countries, lifestyle and safety in some options).

Didn't see all of the debate last night, but thought the question about another general election was valid - most of the candidates all slated Labour when Prescott took over and said it was undemocratic we had a new PM that was not voted for, but were reluctant to then say they would call an election as they would also be an unelected PM...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I am going against the public opinion on this one...
I think he'll do well..
Not joking..
He had two very successful terms as London mayor, with reduced crime and especially murder, he introduced the "Boris bikes" to tackle congestion as well as rising pollution levels and he guided the cities operations during the 2012 Olympic Games, not an easy task.
There's many more out there that would be a lot worse than Boris to be fair.
Message 10 of 15