Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOPE - the 02 Community Elephant

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25182 Posts
  • 814 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The 02 Community is renown for its members offering help and for caring.

It is with great pleasure that I can announce that, thanks to the support of members of this Community, an adoption has been set up with the Born Free Foundation for what is known as the Elephant Family.

The Born Free Adoption Certificate will be in the name of the "02 Community".

It has been decided that one of these elephants should be named HOPE.

The adoption pack, with the adoption certifciate and photos of these beautiful creatures, should be received within the next few days and will be posted on this thread.

In the meantime, here is a short video of these beautiful elephants and the Born Free Foundation:

https://www.bornfree.org.uk/video-hub?page=2

scroll down and click "Adopt the Elephant Family" to watch

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions
What else but the usual "fudge" @Cleoriff ivory is still being circulated in UK regularly with no cities, I have seen it and it's new sometimes it's labelled or noted as mammoth ivory which is legal, but it's not.👹

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 111 of 212

TallTrees
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions
I heard @Cleoriff and @Mi-Amigo that scientists are developing something to add a poison to Rhino horn so that it couldn't be used, didn't hear full details, shocking really desperate measures for desperate situations. Doesn't affect the Rhino obviously.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 112 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25182 Posts
  • 814 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

House of Commons Briefing Paper

note what it says as the end of the paper:

Control on imports of hunting trophies by the EU where strengthened in 2015 to address concerns about links to wildlife trafficking. Several countries have banned the import of hunting trophies.

The UK government is not considering a ban but has stated that it does keep the rules constantly under review.

Unbelievable but not surprising given the attitude of the UK government to wildlife, the environment, and conservation.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 113 of 212

TallTrees
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions
Absolutely disgusting @Mi-Amigo
British Gvt have the audacity to pipe up about Amazon rain forest etc. too but there are good people out there hands on.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 114 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25182 Posts
  • 814 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
I heard @Cleoriff and @Mi-Amigo that scientists are developing something to add a poison to Rhino horn so that it couldn't be used, didn't hear full details, shocking really desperate measures for desperate situations. Doesn't affect the Rhino obviously.

Rhino Rescue Project have been using the procedure since 2011 and is still being used - as reported in Metro News 22 June 2019

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/22/rhinos-horns-poisoned-poachers-wont-kill-10028761/

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 115 of 212

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123063 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Yes, I heard about this. Such a pity the money isn't available to do it for every Rhino.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 116 of 212

TallTrees
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions
Thanks @Mi-Amigo didn't realise that it had been in use for quite some time.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 117 of 212

TallTrees
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions
Yes @Cleoriff it is quite expensive, big job really. Maybe in future there could be a simpler way. If scientists are looking then there's hope.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 118 of 212

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Another dispicable act in my adopted country

A wild male elephant, weighing about 3.6 tonnes, was shot dead and its tusks removed in a forest area in Rangae district, Thailand this morning. (Saturday 6th)

https://www.pattayaone.news/wild-elephant-shot-dead-thailand/

Message 119 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25182 Posts
  • 814 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On 4 July, the Born Free Foundation launched a campaign against trophy hunting and canned hunting.

Please check out the news on this and sign the petition

https://www.bornfree.org.uk/news/bth-launch.

Thank you

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 120 of 212