Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook knows more about you than you think

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23035 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Privacy is truly dead. Facebook knows everything.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/how-to-download-a-copy-of-facebook-data-about-you.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

For you to get something for free, the company giving you the item/service has to get something out of it as altruistic business models don't work, particularly when it comes to Internet services.

It's said that Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the founders of Google, wanted to provide their search engine to the world for free but quickly found out that to get it to scale to cope with demand they had to buy hardware and upgrade internet connections and of course pay for more power and appropriate accommodation for both equipment and staff so they had to come up with a way to generate money so launched an advertising operation.

Facebook's infrastructure is similar in size to Google's and although they design their own hardware and have it manufactured by a low cost contract manufacturer, they still have staffing, office, datacentre, power and connection costs, as the customer won't pay for the service they have to utilise the data they have to target ads.

If you are signing up to an Internet service that isn't asking you for a fee, just remember that, YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.

Message 21 of 23

ElaGirl
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 41 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am pretty convinced that facebook is somehow listening to our conversations.

Two weeks ago we were at home talking about all the car trouble we had been having lately. In fact, all the repairs have put us in a financial bind, to the point that we said, let's get a loan and just buy a new car. Less than 24 hours later I started receiving "sponsored" ads on my facebook feed from used car sales people. I kid you not, I never even searched on my browser or looked at any new or even used car. Facebook just knew!

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Message 22 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Very spooky @ElaGirl Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 23