Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eurovision 2018

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

So it's come around again, that special Saturday in May..... what we have all been waiting for Bouncy... no not the FA Cup final, not even the Europa Final or the first balmy days of summer! Nope, it's the Saturday all nighters of the wonderful Eurovision Fantastic

Some questions therefore ::

• Are we all looking forward to it
  • Do you have a favourite song
  • Do you think the UK have now lost what little support they have had for the last 25 years
  • Have you all got the extra wine and Vodka in ready
  • Are we going to see anything worth downloading or even remembering 
  • Are we going to be allowed to enter after next year given we have burnt all the bridges we took years to build
  • Does anyone actually care
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@ComaChameleon wrote:

Maybe Elizabeth has some medal for him/her grin

I found our song not bad (wondering about it, I never liked them).

What do you guys think about the countries singing in their own languages?

I'm not watching either @ComaChameleon. Really behind today as I got up late. I did plan to watch to see and hear Finland's entry as I liked her on X Factor. But I just didn't have the time.

Personally, I have no problem with people singing in their own language. It's the one they're most comfortable in after all. But then I like opera and my favourites are in Italian. So am more used to it than some. Anyway if they have a good singing voice and it's a fairly good song, the language is immaterial. It is to me anyway.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 41 of 53

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Well I was right. Israel won and I won my bet. 😜. Chicken song all the way.

Surie was amazing and well done on her to keep singing even when they stormed on stage. 

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 42 of 53

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Mum wanted to see it as there was nothing good on tv (and she didn't wanted to see House MD with me as you have to think with them...

@Anonymous
They have some jury and the caller's vote. idk... I don't think the best won, so... if it's improved - dk

@Glory1

I think if the emotions come out and you feel it... That's what's important, not if you can understand everything (as the winner was singing in a strange way I wasn't able to understand much of it... put put put)

@darrengf

Awful, wasn't it? idk why they won (aswell as Israel isn't even Europe....)

The UK-Lady did well, aswell as our German boy was really good (I was impressed, didn't expected that)... Sadly Portugal itself got so less points, as they were really good..

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 43 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No wonder I don't watch it. Just checked who won and it was this joy

The UK came 24th out of 26...FGS...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 53

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I turned over after the film and saw the last 20 minutes. I hadn't a clue how that voting worked, clueless! As for the winning song....? Utter tripe, it was like a couple of cats on heat, terrible. I'm just glad I didn't sit through it all because I would have been suicidal

Message 45 of 53

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@jonsie

sshhhhh Don't tell that too loud, maybe Trump-ie saw it and thinks now Israel has a mass-destroying weapon!

xD

Would like to know how the jury got nominated. Such less taste is really sad. Confused

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 46 of 53

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

The voting is now split in to two parts

Jury who watch and vote on Friday during rehearsals

Public who voted tonight.

The jury vote you could see was some what political or neighbour country.  However the Public vote in did everything that the Jury did and just shows how much out of date and how back the Jury vote is.

@ComaChameleon

Regarding Israel being in Europe.  This is where it is and isn’t.  Israel has close ties and bond with Europe and even most travel insurance companies also class it as Europe too.

However its all to do with the European broadcasting union and Israel as well as man other countries who you can also say may not be part of Europe have this licence which then allows them to join the Eurovision.

Israel won because of it being different.  People may not remember her or her name, but they remember it for the chicken song and it stood out.

Jury was voting for her but but only with average to high points. However public voted with top high marks with a combined 43 country total which put the, A’s the winner.

well that’s it for another year I’m sure most will be saying yippee lol.

😁

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 47 of 53

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@darrengf

But then it should be open to every country wanting to join...

Maybe that would break the eastern-voting-for-each-other-thingy

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 48 of 53

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@ComaChameleon wrote:

Mum wanted to see it as there was nothing good on tv (and she didn't wanted to see House MD with me as you have to think with them...

@Anonymous
They have some jury and the caller's vote. idk... I don't think the best won, so... if it's improved - dk

@Glory1

I think if the emotions come out and you feel it... That's what's important, not if you can understand everything (as the winner was singing in a strange way I wasn't able to understand much of it... put put put)

@darrengf

Awful, wasn't it? idk why they won (aswell as Israel isn't even Europe....)

The UK-Lady did well, aswell as our German boy was really good (I was impressed, didn't expected that)... Sadly Portugal itself got so less points, as they were really good..

I totally agree with you @ComaChameleon. I mean it's nice if you can understand the words of a song but if the singer performs the song with heart you get the gist of what she/he is saying even though you mayn't understand the words.

And no Israel is not in Europe. But it's not countries in Europe or the EU that have singers in Eurovision but countries who are members of the European Broadcasting Union. And Israel is a member as is Turkey who is also not in the EU or strictly speaking in Europe. Israel is in Asia and Turkey is divided by the city that was/is Constantinople; on one side of the city the country is in Europe and the other side of the city Turkey is part of Asia. I think that's how it works from memory (?!)

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 49 of 53

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

It’s all very strange In deed.  But what I like it brings people together from all over the world regardless and it’s fun and in the times we’re having which are often very sad and upsetting. It’s something that is desperately needed.

i know that when I travel to a London it makes me nervous. I’m watching my back all the time until I get on the train and at least past Leicester.  

I shouldn’t feel like this in my or any country.

I also bet More people watch and vote for the Eurovision than in Elections.  It also gets people talking about it wether they watch it or not, very clever in deed.

for me watching it with friends for a few hours one year a night, I can just forget about what’s happening round the world.

Message 50 of 53