Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eurovision 2018

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

So it's come around again, that special Saturday in May..... what we have all been waiting for Bouncy... no not the FA Cup final, not even the Europa Final or the first balmy days of summer! Nope, it's the Saturday all nighters of the wonderful Eurovision Fantastic

Some questions therefore ::

• Are we all looking forward to it
  • Do you have a favourite song
  • Do you think the UK have now lost what little support they have had for the last 25 years
  • Have you all got the extra wine and Vodka in ready
  • Are we going to see anything worth downloading or even remembering 
  • Are we going to be allowed to enter after next year given we have burnt all the bridges we took years to build
  • Does anyone actually care
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I would also say he is revered more now due to his tragic skiing accident than his F1 career. People have very short memories in my opinion.

Well it certainly gave lie to the widely held belief that F1 requires superhuman reaction times, and is incredibly physically demanding. All that's needed is an ability to make lots of decisions quickly, correctly, and consistently. Like say a jet fighter pilot. No doubt this was what was going through Schumacher's mind as he hurtled into the rock whilst skiing, which does require fast reaction times, and higher levels of fitness.

As to F1 in general I'm not convinced any more, it's not about competetivness, as back in the day, 70's & 80's - only 2 or 3 teams were competitive the lower orders were often lapped 6 or 7 times. But back then then the races were exciting and dramatic - and didn't have to build in artificial tyre stops - the sport was extremely dangerous and the cars a lot harder to drive and the drivers were a great deal more flamboyant - I'd trade you ten Vettels or Alonso's for one Hunt and one Piquet.. Put today's drivers into 1970's 400 bhp 3 litre V8's with no electronics, safety features or driver aides, and after a death or two we'd soon see the return of appeal of legendary Grand Prix drivers like Hunt the Shunt or Senna, as well as sorting out the men from the boys...

Message 31 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I think it's very hard to compare the then and now of F1 @Anonymous. I have watched it since it first started.

it's like comparing the very first car I drove to the one I have now (which left alone would pretty much drive itself.)

Yes it was exciting back then, it was also deadly. The likes of Fangio, Moss, Hawthorn and Stewart put their lives on the line every time they stepped in an F1 car.

The cars of today are bigger and faster and akin to driving a computer. I don't particularly like the hybrid era of the V6. Much prefer the noise and excitement of the V10 and V8.

However, driving the cars of today need a lot more than an ability to drive. It needs an understanding of technology, the circuit, tyre and engine management and the instructions from the pit wall. 

I also think the new regulations for this year are on their way to killing the sport.

The stupid penalty system. the minimum of 3 engines and the inconsistency of punishing the drivers under investigation.

I could go on for hours but won't (as this is a thread about Eurovision) Rolleys

Just finish by saying the drivers of today can (and have) driven the cars of the 60's. The drivers of that era and even much later couldn't drive the cars of today.

I saw David Coulthard attempt it, he said it was the most frightening experience of his life.

On that note I am off to watch FP1, in Barcelona. Due to start in 10 minutes...

Edited to add. The sport  today has NOT lost it's competitiveness.We are seeing Ferrari again beginning to dominate, after 4 years of Mercedes dominance and prior to that Red Bull. If my favourite driver Hamilton, is to win his 5th WDC, Mercedes need to pull their finger out thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous & @Cleoriff ... I'll be brief as it s a thread about Eurovision

I see F1 as a team sport with 'silly' rules & restrictions ... that's my very simple take on it ... it's far too quick for me to comprehend & I still don't like that noise ... hope Hamilton wins

I shall be watching the spectacle of Eurovision ... I wonder if it will be Graham Norton commentating?

Yes, I did like the late great Terry Wogan's commentary = it made it for me

I go back a long way with Eurovision to the days of black & white ... & ... remember in 1959 Pearl Carr & Teddy Johnson with 'Sing Little Birdie, Sing Sing Sing' as UK's entry ... they came 2nd ... I'd be 5 years old or so

One of my favourite entries which won the contest was ... What's Another Year by Johnny Logan ... my dad told me it was a political song, but to me it was a beautiful sound

Edited for spelling

Message 33 of 53

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Oh dear, and I thought we lived in a time of international enlightment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44078305

Good god!!!

Also on the news today, it said the UK  entry was currently running odds of 200/1

How embarrassing Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 53

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I wouldn't be betting on a UK victory no matter the odds. There will have to be emergency voting contingencies by all Russia's allies now they hav been eliminated in the semifinals....no need to fear any Putin sanctions now Dance

Message 36 of 53

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Apparently there was a stage invasion during our girls performance and someone stole her microphone - probably deserves a medal LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 53

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Maybe Elizabeth has some medal for him/her grin

I found our song not bad (wondering about it, I never liked them).

What do you guys think about the countries singing in their own languages?

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 38 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@ComaChameleon wrote:

Maybe Elizabeth has some medal for him/her grin

I found our song not bad (wondering about it, I never liked them).

What do you guys think about the countries singing in their own languages?

Sorry @ComaChameleon. I'm not watching. Would rather watch paint dry...joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had planned to have the spectacle on the tv as 'background' ... as it happened, I forgot all about it because I was in good company enjoying myself dahn t' pub

I would say @ComaChameleon the contestants singing in their own language is a good idea ... were there sub-titles?

What about the voting system? ... has it improved at all?

Sorry, I should go downstairs & see for myself, but I just can't be ars'd

Message 40 of 53