Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eurovision 2018

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

So it's come around again, that special Saturday in May..... what we have all been waiting for Bouncy... no not the FA Cup final, not even the Europa Final or the first balmy days of summer! Nope, it's the Saturday all nighters of the wonderful Eurovision Fantastic

Some questions therefore ::

• Are we all looking forward to it
  • Do you have a favourite song
  • Do you think the UK have now lost what little support they have had for the last 25 years
  • Have you all got the extra wine and Vodka in ready
  • Are we going to see anything worth downloading or even remembering 
  • Are we going to be allowed to enter after next year given we have burnt all the bridges we took years to build
  • Does anyone actually care
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did used to watch it when the late Sir Terry Wogan used to commentate, purely to listen to his witty comments.

Message 11 of 53

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Just a thought here.... did we even get through the semi finals if we were in one of them? 

We don't need to "qualify" due to the amount of money we (the country) ploughs into the EU.

We get an automatic entry to the finals Jaw-dropping

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie  The entry this year is called Storm by SuRie

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 53

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Just a thought here.... did we even get through the semi finals if we were in one of them? 

We don't need to "qualify" due to the amount of money we (the country) ploughs into the EU.

And there's me stupidly thinking it was about past winners or performances Bang

Message 14 of 53

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I will be watching EurovisionDrumFantastic we order food and sit down and watch it.  Euro friend party lol.

love it,  Israel is awesome. But o2 don’t do any special o2 travel to Israel Confused

Storm by Surie is great, but bookies money is on Israel Chicken song thing lol

Thanks!

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 15 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I have friends who have Eurovision parties @darrengf Seems to be the highlight of their year.

Each to their own.

I could be criticised for watching Emmerdale and Coronation St. There again, that's my choice joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 53

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Yes I will be honest I don’t watch soaps like them. But it’s always a laugh Eurovision and at present a laugh is what’s needed.

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 17 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Nearly

From wiki:
Since 2000, France, Germany, Spain and United Kingdom have automatically qualified for the final, regardless of their positions on the scoreboard in previous contests, as they are the four biggest financial contributors to the EBU
    EBU ( European Broadcasting Union) membership is pretty complicated but has nothing to do with EU membership as such, both Israel and Morocco are in rhe EBU, tho membership of the Council of Europe does give automatic membership..
    The biggest issue we have is that we are almost certain to come last or nearly last. 'Royaume-Uni nul points", as everyone else is voting to facilitate national interests, so Greece always votes for Turkey even though the countries are each other's throats. As its an easy way for the government's to pretend they like each other and are working hard at peace....
    So for anyone from the UK to stand a chance we'd have to enter a seriously good song performed really well; Like our previous winners did; which is unlikely to happen cos of the shame involved in someone like Chis Martin and Coldplay entering a song & not winning. What we should do is enter joke candidates like Spain do, but I cant see the bbc going for that... And yeah not sure about building bridges @jonsie to quote the late great Sir Humphrey Appleby from Yes Minister

Sir Humphrey: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last 500 years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it’s worked so well?
Hacker: That’s all ancient history, surely?
Sir Humphrey: Yes, and current policy. We had to break the whole thing [the EEC] up, so we had to get inside. We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn’t work. Now that we’re inside we can make a complete pig’s breakfast of the whole thing: set the Germans against the French, the French against the Italians, the Italians against the Dutch… The Foreign Office is terribly pleased; it’s just like old times.
Hacker: But surely we’re all committed to the European ideal?
Sir Humphrey: [chuckles] Really, minister.
Hacker: If not, why are we pushing for an increase in the membership?
Sir Humphrey: Well, for the same reason. It’s just like the United Nations, in fact; the more members it has, the more arguments it can stir up, the more futile and impotent it becomes.
Hacker: What appalling cynicism.
Sir Humphrey: Yes… We call it diplomacy, minister.

And no doubt looking down & rubbing his hands in glee at the chaos sure to ensue following the decision to leave.

Message 18 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tho there was this gem - even the jocular Wogan was visibly moved. 

Message 19 of 53

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Well I still watch it even if we get nil poin lol. 

Its about fun and having a laugh.

I think it’s great as well that for a few nights Australia becomes part of Europe. Oh yes. I can use my phone there as part of o2 travel lol. 

And If Israel can do a chicken song. Then so can I lol

chick chick chick chick chicken. Lay a little egg for me. Lol

im not mad but it helps a little 😁

Message 20 of 53