Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Its that time again; A new Movie-themed thread slight_smile

On TV this week:

The Expendables (Channel 5, 10PM, Wed 12 Dec)

If Sylvester Stallone had a Last Supper, this film would be what it would look like.

- The 3rd film which starred both Jason Statham and Jet Li

- Most of the soldiers in the film are real soldiers from the local area

- Cameos in the film were performed for free

Constantine (Channel 5, 10PM, Thurs 13 Dec)

Keannu Reeves stars as a demon-slayer in this controversial Hellblazer adaptation

- Nicolas Cage was the original choice for the lead.

- At the movie's local premiere at Bergen Cinema, Norway, it had 666 visitors.

The look of Hell was based on old footage of nuclear tests in the film.

Gladiator (ITV 2, 10PM, Sun 16 Dec)

The Oscar-winning epic tale of Maximus Decimus Meridius starring Russell Crowe.

- In the Coliseum scenes, only the front rows were filled with real people,

the rest were CGI.

- Mel Gibson turned down the lead role.

- Antonio Banderas was also considered for the lead role.

Constantine-constantine-21980821-1600-1200.jpg gladiator-2.jpg The Expendables - 1 Wallpaper.jpg

Will you be watching any of these? If not, what takes your fancy? We've all got our favourites, so give your's a shout out.

I'll update you all with film news during the week. For now however, you'll just have to do with this 'Man Of Steel' trailer.....Nothing short of amazing :), Let me know what you think.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

Its that time again; A new Movie-themed thread slight_smile

On TV this week:

The Expendables (Channel 5, 10PM, Wed 12 Dec)

If Sylvester Stallone had a Last Supper, this film would be what it would look like.

- The 3rd film which starred both Jason Statham and Jet Li

- Most of the soldiers in the film are real soldiers from the local area

- Cameos in the film were performed for free

Constantine (Channel 5, 10PM, Thurs 13 Dec)

Keannu Reeves stars as a demon-slayer in this controversial Hellblazer adaptation

- Nicolas Cage was the original choice for the lead.

- At the movie's local premiere at Bergen Cinema, Norway, it had 666 visitors.

The look of Hell was based on old footage of nuclear tests in the film.

Gladiator (ITV 2, 10PM, Sun 16 Dec)

The Oscar-winning epic tale of Maximus Decimus Meridius starring Russell Crowe.

- In the Coliseum scenes, only the front rows were filled with real people,

the rest were CGI.

- Mel Gibson turned down the lead role.

- Antonio Banderas was also considered for the lead role.

Constantine-constantine-21980821-1600-1200.jpg gladiator-2.jpg The Expendables - 1 Wallpaper.jpg

Will you be watching any of these? If not, what takes your fancy? We've all got our favourites, so give your's a shout out.

I'll update you all with film news during the week. For now however, you'll just have to do with this 'Man Of Steel' trailer.....Nothing short of amazing :), Let me know what you think.

It's brilliant, love the costume, the little homages to donner & reeve is cool. Zod is interesting, has a beard but in the photos released of Shannon as zod so far show him as having no beard

Message 2 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Man of Steel is pretty-much guaranteed to be a great film to watch - but I do wish that Hollywood would stop "rebooting" these superhero franchises and just give us a film about the character as we know them - out there and fighting bad guys.   I get that fewer people would know the backstory for, say, Thor - but Superman and Batman are so well known that there'sjust no need to keep remaking the same episode.

Cavill certainly looks the part - the new suit without the red pants is - pants.  It could also have done without following the current fashion of using that textured cloth - nowt wrong with the "proper" suit.   Still, they've made a great job of the tailoring - the "walking cape" in that ice scene is perfect.

There's one bizarre omission from the film - no Lex Luthor (unless they're playing games and he's hidden in there somewhere).  It could be that they decided to keep him for the sequel - the way they cut the scenes with the Klingons from the 2009 Star Trek movie to avoid throwing everything into the mix (shame - they looked awesome and cutting them left some weird continuity problems such as Nero's ears suddenly being cut-off with no explanation).

I just re-watched the Chris Reeve films on DVD and even though the special effects are laughable by today's standards, the first two films are still brilliant - mostly because Reeve did an amazing job of playing Clark and Supe as two different characters.  I'm hoping thay Cavill gets that aspect right - maybe less of a "clown" than Reeve but still keeping them so separate that you can maybe believe that no-one spotted they are the same bloke.

One other thing.  The beard reminded me of a "red kryptonite" story from the comics.  Red kryptonite always has a strange effect on Superman - not harming him directly but changing him in some way - making him a giant or the size of flea, for example.  In one story, it makes his hair and nails grow really long - and if Superman and Clark both change like that overnight, everyone will notice.  Trouble is - you can't cut his hair and nails with scissors and razor - they're too tough.   I'm hoping they show that in the movie - cos if they don't, someone is bound to pick up on it.  (In the comic, SuperGirl and Krypto the SuperDog had to use their combined heat vision to burn his beard off :))

And here's a pop-quiz...

Which actress has appeared 81 times with three and half different Superman's?

Message 3 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy, Noel neill

Message 4 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice one slight_smile

What I didn't know until recently is that when you see her with the little girl in the train in Superman - and the girl sees the teenage Clark running alongside the train...

...that little girl is Lois Lane and Noel was playing her mum.   For whatever reason, that was not explained in the final cut of the film - the only clue is the name of Noel's character in the cast list.  

Terry Hatcher played Ella Lane in an episode of Smallville - which was rather cool.

Speaking of which - did you see the Smallville episode when Chris Reeve was in it the first time?   When the camera moved in and you saw who it was, they played a few notes from the movie theme music - I had a lump in my throat.

Message 5 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah loved it, he appeared again in season 3 & was slated to appear early on in season 4 with margot kidder as part of the stones/fortress storyline but he died before filming of his episode began. If you watch the 2001 extended cut of superman you see a longer scene of Noel neill with the little girl & the guy who plays the father of lois lane is none other than kirk Alyn who played superman in the 1948 & 1950 serials

Message 6 of 33

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

With all the chat about films is anybody having a go at this, only 3 days left:

http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/12/10/review-a-movie-to-win-an-exclusive-007-sony-xperia-t-o2moviereview/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 33

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Good spot jonsie.

In film news today:

- Garrett Hedlund will reprise his role in the sequel to Tron: Legacy.

- Tintin 2 will be released in early 2015, according to director Peter Jackson

- Check out the new trailer for Guillermo del Toro 'Pacific Rim' below:

Get involved:

Message 8 of 33

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

There's one bizarre omission from the film - no Lex Luthor (unless they're playing games and he's hidden in there somewhere).  It could be that they decided to keep him for the sequel - the way they cut the scenes with the Klingons from the 2009 Star Trek movie to avoid throwing everything into the mix (shame - they looked awesome and cutting them left some weird continuity problems such as Nero's ears suddenly being cut-off with no explanation).

---------------------------

A good point Pete, that Klingon scene is very good too, cant wait for the sequel next year slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 9 of 33

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I am defiantly seeing pacific rim!!

It has everything giant robots fighting aliens. A rather pretty girl involved in a martial art scene.

And a ROCKET POWERED PUNCH!

What else could a young man want from a movie:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 10 of 33