Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

By Any Other Name

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With comedian Joe Lycett changing his name by Deed Poll to Hugo Boss see here , got me thinking...

Would you, or have any of you, ever thought of changing your name? Or know someone who has?

And if so, to what?

This is gonna be fun - and, if possible, try and keep it decent and repeatable LOL

To kick this off, I`ll tell you a true story...

Years ago, I went out with a girl, who was a huge heavy metal music fan and, well before I knew her, she had changed her name to Zinc Alloy...

My mum, not knowing her name or who she was, told me to bring her for tea - as mum`s do.

I introduced her as my girlfriend and my mum asked her her name... When she said "Zinc Alloy", my mum`s reaction was priceless LOL  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Never known anyone to change their name (or even want to except for film stars or celebrities.)

Mind you, my mum was pleased to marry my dad and change her name.

My grandmother who lived in Sunderland married a bloke with the surname of Pigg. They had 13 children. My mum was known as Beattie Pigg. rofl

Now I've told that story, I do recall that 2 of their sons changed their name by deed poll and left the Pigg behind them. One was called Percy (Pigg), he changed his name to Marsh. I can't say I blame him. LOL

I can just imagine the grief those 13 little Piggs had whilst at school!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

A name reversal

Nice American friend of my now x-husband

Frank Patrick

Think of the tall one in the Beach boys who usually wears tight white jeans, sun kissed blonde hair

That was Frank

He wanted to be known as Pat

I thought of him as Pat Frankrick LOL

He complemented me on my peanut butter sauce when he came for a meal

Us 3 got totally wasted on Pernot and bitter lemon

Never touched the stuff since lol

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve changed my name to take my stepdads (the sperm donor is less than useful)
Message 4 of 24

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

After the accident in Thailand, I was flown home leaving behind a hospital bill of £227,072 and I was going to change my name before going back as I had serious concerns about my passport being flagged by immigration in Bangkok. Quite apart from that I was also concerned about having to be treated at the local hospital and being refused treatment.

All sources such as BKK  Thai Embassy, the British Embassy there and the UK Thai Embassy in London couldn't give me a straight answer. My mom's maiden name was favourite but after much deliberation I decided that some three years after the accident the authorities may just have 'forgotten'.

All went smoothly through immigration and I did need treatment at the same hospital which meant I had to change flight and return home. The hospital didn't mention my outstanding bill and I just paid for the present treatment and discharged myself.

So, a name change wasn't necessary in the end.

Message 5 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie  I seem to remember the wait to go through immigration was particularly nerve-wracking! Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 24

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie  I seem to remember the wait to go through immigration was particularly nerve-wracking! Fear

Yes definitely a brick moment poop

Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

£227k I hope you're gold plated after all that!

Message 8 of 24

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It ,was a brilliant hospital who put me back together but you paid for every little thing. They were excellent and I can't speak highly enough about the nurses. Doctor was a drunk who didn't believe in anaesthetic before cutting and stitching but I guess I owe my life to him and the surgeons.

Message 9 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It ,was a brilliant hospital who put me back together but you paid for every little thing. They were excellent and I can't speak highly enough about the nurses. Doctor was a drunk who didn't believe in anaesthetic before cutting and stitching but I guess I owe my life to him and the surgeons.

Mmmmmm...we may have to agree to differ on that one @jonsie Shirty  Grumpy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 24