Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boris Johnson to be New PM

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Boris Johnson has been voted as the new leader of the Conservative party. He won by double the votes  from Jeremy Hunt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I've had that paper this morning and it says it all. In fact BBC news showed all the front pages of most newspapers today and they all said pretty much the same.

That being so, it does make you wonder what the outcome would have been if the country had been allowed a vote and not just the Conservatives??upside_down

To be fair, no one voted for Gordon Brown  Smiley Indifferent

That said, we shouldn't be surprised if there's an early general election. Unfortunately, neither of the two main parties are worth voting for. Just read the first response by Labour peer Andrew Adonis to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1154004676242739200

Message 51 of 75

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Couldn't agree more @Anonymous. in fact, there is no one in any of the parties worth voting for. They're all pretty much useless rolling_eyes

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 52 of 75

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well I expect, and certainly hope, @Cleoriff Boris wouldn't be in No 10. Though who would be is the real question. Corbyn, pretty much useless and we don't want whatever that UKIP party now call themselves either. So what choice is there?!

Message 53 of 75

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Well I expect, and certainly hope, @Cleoriff Boris wouldn't be in No 10. Though who would be is the real question. Corbyn, pretty much useless and we don't want whatever that UKIP party now call themselves either. So what choice is there?!

There was no other choice @Glory1  except Jeremy Hunt.

I know no-one voted for Gordon Brown @Anonymous , there again Theresa May picked up the poisoned chalice when David Cameron ran away after the referendum. She was only voted for by the Conservatives.

I've just watched the news and apparently Boris is performing the most radical cabinet reshuffle ever seen for a long time.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 54 of 75

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Jeremy Hunt equally as bad @Cleoriff. That's the problem at the moment, there is no one to vote for in any party, not just the 2 main ones.

I can't see anyone that would make a good PM, can you?

Message 55 of 75

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I wouldn't have wanted Jeremy Hunt anyway. He all but brought the NHS to it's knees during his tenure. I have never seen so many strikes which he caused with his changes to the junior doctors working hours.

So no, I can't think of anyone I would like to see as PM, from any party...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 56 of 75

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Next election, we're looking at a coalition government again.

Which will be the worst of all scenarios this time as with whatever coalition party gets in, it will demand something quite critical with no clear leader. 

Labour - who on past elections are actually losing votes so will likely have less seats - will need to join up with the SNP and still not get a working majority. Say they will, then the SNP will force another Scottish referendum as part of their support and guaranteed within a couple of years, another general election may be forced on us due to votes of no-confidence. Assuming the SNP don't lose seats like the last election. 

Which leaves the LibDems as possible power brokers and can you realistically see them trying to power share with Labour + SNP? Thats assuming they can actually get more seats this time after being effectively wiped out in 2015. Then there's the dark horse of the moment, The Brexit Party and I suspect a load more independents being voted in. Don't underestimate the protest vote because they will attract large numbers as UKIP did in 2015 (which actually got the 3rd largest number of votes - look at the results table). That demographic is what all the mainstream parties will be targeting now because they know how damaging it is to them given the polarisation of Brexit. 

As for the Conservatives, well thats up to them to actually deliver on the 31st Oct on whether they want to exist post-general election but again, how many seats they'll lose is another matter pending Boris's performance till then. 

BTW: I'm not voting for any of them. I'm bringing a black marker pen and voting none

Message 57 of 75

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Well that is not only damming but disturbing and worse true @sheepdog 

We are entering very turbulent times.

It is also the trend in voting across the European countries.  Trying to find that NOBLE politician or leader or political party, seemingly difficult and impossible. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 58 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
More info

@sheepdog wrote:

Next election, we're looking at a coalition government again.

Which will be the worst of all scenarios this time as with whatever coalition party gets in, it will demand something quite critical with no clear leader. 

Labour - who on past elections are actually losing votes so will likely have less seats - will need to join up with the SNP and still not get a working majority. Say they will, then the SNP will force another Scottish referendum as part of their support and guaranteed within a couple of years, another general election may be forced on us due to votes of no-confidence. Assuming the SNP don't lose seats like the last election. 

Which leaves the LibDems as possible power brokers and can you realistically see them trying to power share with Labour + SNP? Thats assuming they can actually get more seats this time after being effectively wiped out in 2015. Then there's the dark horse of the moment, The Brexit Party and I suspect a load more independents being voted in. Don't underestimate the protest vote because they will attract large numbers as UKIP did in 2015 (which actually got the 3rd largest number of votes - look at the results table). That demographic is what all the mainstream parties will be targeting now because they know how damaging it is to them given the polarisation of Brexit. 

As for the Conservatives, well thats up to them to actually deliver on the 31st Oct on whether they want to exist post-general election but again, how many seats they'll lose is another matter pending Boris's performance till then. 

BTW: I'm not voting for any of them. I'm bringing a black marker pen and voting none

This isn’t my own analysis, I’m just picking up on some observations that I’ve heard from political commentators. Boris Johnson’s inaugural speech as Prime Minister suggests that he’s still in campaign mode, and his appointment of Dominic Cummings as one of his senior advisers is quite telling, because that was the man who successfully orchestrated the Vote Leave campaign. 

Consider this possible scenario: Boris Johnson fails to convince the EU to reopen the negotiations, he can then declare (with a heavy heart :smileywink:) that Brussels have forced his hand, and he has no option but to leave without a deal. But parliament are successful in blocking such a move, leading to the inevitable general election. His campaign would be based on the belief that the political elite are still trying to overturn the will of the people, and that parliament needs to be changed in order to allow him to finish the job. Sound familiar?

If Brexit is still the central issue in a general election, then you couldn’t rule out an alliance between the two parties who are most committed to leaving the EU. 

Message 59 of 75

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

yes @Anonymous  

Sounding all too familiar and the Public/businesses etc.

have had to put up with all the parties shenanigans 

of one thing or another (they had swords out in the old days!)

all vying for position.

Parliament should be considering the well-being

of the UK. 

Message 60 of 75