Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25178 Posts
  • 813 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC News just reported text of three letters sent to EU: read here 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

RyanK1992
Level 4: Observant
  • 90 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

"This Parliament is totally broken. The public will have to choose whether they want to get Brexit done with Boris or whether they want to spend 2020 having two referendums on Brexit and Scotland with Corbyn."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-50136270 

I think a Scottish Referendum is inevitable regardless of whether BJ is elected or not to be perfectly honest!

iPhone 11 PRODUCT RED
Apple Watch Series 4
Message 42 of 58

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 43 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

So he wins one vote and he's now the messiah? Joke

Parliament has finally agreed on a deal (in principle at least), so that is progress that seemed unlikely to many observers.

There's still a long way to go, but if a short extension is all that's required to actually get that deal over the line, then I think we should take it. 

Message 44 of 58

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25178 Posts
  • 813 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@RyanK1992 wrote:
I think a Scottish Referendum is inevitable regardless of whether BJ is elected or not to be perfectly honest!

Begs an interesting point which, as far as I know, has not been raised or considered by MPs is this:

If Scotland gains independence, it will more than likely opt to rejoin the EU. If that happens then won`t this create circumstances similar to Northern Ireland/Ireland border? Will we see "backstop II"? A Trump-like wall [Hadrian`s Wall II?] between England and Scotland?   

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 45 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@RyanK1992 wrote:

Begs an interesting point which, as far as I know, has not been raised or considered by MPs is this:

If Scotland gains independence, it will more than likely opt to rejoin the EU. If that happens then won`t this create circumstances similar to Northern Ireland/Ireland border? Will we see "backstop II"? A Trump-like wall [Hadrian`s Wall II?] between England and Scotland?   

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@RyanK1992 wrote:

I think it will @Mi-Amigo If we are entering an EU country, I'm sure there will be border controls etc. Why wouldn't we? Take your passports everywhere folks. You never know when you might need them!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 58

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Worth noting that Scotland would not only have to reapply to join the EU, but would also have to join the Euro currency, if they even get approved
Message 47 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

So Scotland's first move following independence would be to join another union  thinking

You couldn't make it up  upside_down

Message 48 of 58

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Nothing like having the nationalists gloss over that little fact. Wonder if we should ask the barbed question if they're going to hold a referendum or two on joining the EU after gaining independance* just to confirm the will of the people rofl

* and if the SNP actually think they have a seat at the "top table" perhaps they should read what the Lisbon treaty covers for qualified majority voting and where Scotland will be in terms of influence: Exclusive suppliers of whisky.

Message 49 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this tweet sums up the whole sorry saga that Brexit has become:

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1187078286557495296

I genuinely hope that MPs from both sides of the house can finally work together, and put the interests of the country first. But given the way that they’ve behaved so far, that’s probably being optimistic to say the least.
Message 50 of 58