Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Highlighted
Topics: 716

Apple edges out Samsung

According to latest news published in Reuters....

Apple edges out Samsung in global smartphone sales

Apple's smartphones sales jumped about 49 percent in the fourth quarter, according to Gartner. In contrast, Samsung, the market dominator since 2011, recorded a nearly 12 percent fall.

Besides losing market share to the costlier iPhones, the Korean company has been battling low-cost Chinese vendors such as Xiaomi and Huawei.

Let's see what happens when the S6 and S6 edge releases in the middle of April?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/03/uk-apple-iphone-sales-idUKKBN0LZ1WO20150303

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Topics: 545

Re: Apple edges out Samsung

Pricing strategy for the S6 will be crucial.
If they get that correct it will wipe out half of the iPhone sales.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted

@MI5 wrote:
Pricing strategy for the S6 will be crucial.
If they get that correct it will wipe out half of the iPhone sales.

I actually wondered how true these figures could be Rich? We know Samsung releases its flagship phones in April...and Apple 6 months later in September. There would be peaks and troughs in sales figures then.

Having said that...this info was compiled in December...so probably true enough....so far?

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted
Topics: 545

Yeah, in December riding the peak of the wave for new iPhone release sales Smiley Wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Level 66: Unequalled

@Cleoriff your first post said 'Apple's smartphones sales jumped about 49 percent in the fourth quarter'. That's when the iPhone 6 and 6+ were released. Makes absolute sense that their sales would jump like that. Samsung's sales will jump in April, if, as @MI5 says, they get the pricing right. Swings and roundabouts. Nothing more.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread
Highlighted

@Bambino wrote:

@Cleoriff your first post said 'Apple's smartphones sales jumped about 49 percent in the fourth quarter'. That's when the iPhone 6 and 6+ were released. Makes absolute sense that their sales would jump like that. Samsung's sales will jump in April, if, as @MI5 says, they get the pricing right. Swings and roundabouts. Nothing more.

Looks as if the reporter may have an Apple bias. Lets hope they come back and report on the figures this June/July...Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted
Level 66: Unequalled

They are correct about Xiaomi and Huawei hurting Samsung more than Apple, though. Apple only makes two phones and doesn't deal with the lower end of the market. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread
Highlighted
Topics: 80

Amazing how these stories come out just prior to a galaxy release.

Highlighted
Topics: 570

Highlighted
Anonymous

@jonsie wrote:

I doubt the people at Samsung are very worried.

I doubt it too.  If it's just a measure of units sold, does it make any sense to compare between manufacturers at all?