cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Genius Bar

Anonymous
Not applicable

Came across an interesting video today about Apple & the right to repair movement which, fingers crossed is going to help everyone with repairs to Apple products.

Take a goose HERE

Now I’ve only ever used the service once before and they replaced my sisters iPhone 5S free of charge. So I have no complaints personally but I’ve heard lots of rip off stories..

Anyone had any experiences?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Don't hold your breath

Appears Apple have introduced software that needs to be run to reactivate Macbook Pro and iMac Pro machines after replacing which only Apple and it's 'authorised service providers' will have access to

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/04/apple-diagnostics-software-blocks-third-party-repairs-of-2018-macbook-pro-and-imac-pro

One of the reasons I've never really been a fan of them or their hardware (iTunes works and I have an iPod Nano and I did buy a Mini as have to know a bit about the OS for work but even that requires a soldering iron to do anything with)

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used to think the whole ecosystem thing was fantastic, especially for me being a tech noob. Just take it back to where you got it and bam.. sorted.. ring them up with a problem & bam sorted..
not having to go from shop to shop to find someone who’ll do it, & for the right price..
I guess as I became slightly more aware of tech, the novelty wore off.

Credit where credit’s due.. they know what they’re doing.. I just wonder how long this stranglehold will last!

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone’s experience is bound to be different, so I don’t think you can read too much into an isolated incident, particularly one that’s being reported in the media. You only have to consider all the awards that O2 has traditionally received for its high levels of customer service, which are often at odds with many of the comments that are posted here. 

I may have been one of the fortunate ones, but I’ve only ever had positive experiences from the Genius Bar. I’d never rule out a return to Android, but for the phones that I tend to be interested in, it would probably mean dealing with the manufacturer directly, and the lack of a physical store is often a downside when you encounter issues, and inconvenient if you have to return the device. If Google for example, are serious about selling hardware, then they need more of a presence on the high street. 

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

People keep buying the stuff at silly prices so the stranglehold will continue.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

People keep buying the stuff at silly prices so the stranglehold will continue.

They are expensive, but they tend to have high resale values, which is an important consideration if you like to change your phone / device regularly, because it makes staying loyal to a brand more affordable in the long run. That said, I no longer have any desire to own the latest “flagship” model, because I find that most of them are too expensive nowadays, and that goes for the likes of Samsung and Google as well. 

Edit: to add clarification. 

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I've always stuck to the mid to low end because I'd rather spend 800 quid on PC components than a phone as it tends to be screen, camera, RAM and processor speed that changes, not much else.

It really does baffle me why mobile phones have become the status symbol they are.

Message 7 of 7