Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting in to O2

elverdiblanco
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received my new O2 SIM today and sent a text saying SWAP ro 20220 as instructed. I got a reply back saying the port will be done tomorrow but to keep my phone switched off until 6pm on the day of the port. Seriously?!

I have a dual SIM Samsing Galaxy S22 Ultra and have both the EE and O2 SIMs in and both seem to be working. Keeping my phone switched off until 6pm is a non-starter, I'd have assumed that when the port is done my EE SIM will stop working with the O2 one then associated with the number I'm bringing with me. I'd probably restart my phone at that time.

So, what will happen if I don't keep my phone swiched off all day? Will the port fail?

This is the first time I've ported a number to a new network, I was on Orange/T-Mobile/EE for 25 years so this is a new experience for me.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27773 Solutions

@elverdiblanco 

No need to keep phone off.

Just reboot a few times when your old sim loses signal.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27773 Solutions

@elverdiblanco 

No need to keep phone off.

Just reboot a few times when your old sim loses signal.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

elverdiblanco
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for confirming, I did think it was rather ridiculous to expect to have the phone turned off all day

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27773 Solutions

You're welcome @elverdiblanco and it certainly would be ridiculous. 

Note that some ports are taking a long time currently, so it may take longer for your sim to come back online.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

HGMX
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

my port never happened and still without my old number it has already been 1 week

Message 5 of 5