Did you mean: 

How our Network Tools Work

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone,

We know that using our network tools improves customer experience, but how do they work behind the scenes? How do we make sure customer reports are investigated and actioned whilst continuing to make improvements to our network?

Status checker process:

• Based on the volume of status checks, our Network Service Monitoring Team are presented with a dashboard which prioritises the areas to investigate first.
  • If we haven’t yet identified a network issue, or the alarm has been delayed, our status checker uses customer checks to dynamically update the messages we share. It will advise that other customers are having a problem and that our teams will soon investigate.
  • When there is a delay in resolving a network issue, our Service Monitoring Team can draw polygons on the map and add messages onto them. These might describe what the issue is; what we’re doing about it and when; or when to expect the next update. Each time these messages are updated, all customers who’ve registered for Keep Me Posted will automatically receive that update, including when the issue has been resolved.
  • When our Status Checker says can’t find an issue in the area a customer has checked, they can report a problem. Once reported, the system will automatically re-check the location every hour to see if a problem is identified. If a problem is identified within 48 hours then the customer is advised and told we’ll keep them posted on the progress of the issue. If no issue is found in 48 hours we let the customer know we’ve been checking but no problem has been found.

Customers:

• Customers can also register for Permanent Watch Points, meaning if there is ever an issue or planned work at or near one of their chosen locations the customer will get an automated message. 

Outage data:

• Unplanned and planned outage data from the Network is updated on the network status checker around every 30 minutes. Our aim is to make this near real time, or as close as possible, over coming months.
  • Whenever there is a planned or unplanned issue close to where the customer checks the network, they are offered the option to use Keep Me Posted. This will advise them when the issue is fixed or send updates if there are delays.

Coverage data:

• The coverage overlays on the Network coverage checker for 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G are updated monthly.

Key initiatives currently in development:

• We are making a change so that once we are aware of a significant issue impacting voice, text or data, we’ll be able to provide customers with a much better journey. We’ll be able to manage their experience and provide better updates on that issue without compromising how we engage with the customers having different issues. This change will allow us to tailor updates more specifically for customers.
  • We’re building mobile measurements into My O2, to help collect more data that will help us spot issues faster and improve the quality and accuracy of coverage maps.
  • We’re adding Tech Support mode, which allows us to perform better diagnostics and analysis of problems using customers’ actual usage.

Are there any changes you’d like to see made to our Network Tools that might improve the customer network experience?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

How's this for an idea: Give feedback on how many, if any, other reports for that postcode, or the mast serving that postcode, have been received by O2 - share back to the customer what the O2 Network Service Monitoring Team are seeing for that area when the customer queries using the tool.
It's all about being open and transparent, after all...

Message 2 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I like this idea @pgn. I'll pass it over to the network team. slight_smile

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 6

AndyB3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been looking at a message saying "We're currently working to improve the quality of coverage in this area. While our engineers carry out their work, you may find your signal drops in and out - sorry if this happens."

This message has been there for at least 3 days, while signal strength in the flat where I've been staying (in BN3 postcode as it happens) is practically non-existent.

The message doesn't really help. It needs to be more descriptive and give an expected 'return to normal service date'. As it stands I need to move to another network as the service is unusable ... I'd rather not do that if the service is to be fixed soon.

Surely Network Tools should give more help?

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143405 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AndyB3 

You have to register using the "keep me updated" button to get any updates at all, but O2 have never given any timescales for repairs.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@AndyB3

There are so many variables to getting site issues resolved, that this can take some time, these can be related to Access, 3rd Parties and more...

In this case its better to under promise and over deliver than over promise and under deliver 🙂
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 6