cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 charging for data that others do not?

EdwardG
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Please can somebody explain how O2 charges for data? I have used a Pay as You Go SIM from Three for years. To improve reception I have just changed to a O2 Pay as You Go SIM. I have my phone on all the time but very seldom use it except on Home WiFi. With Three I paid about £10 to £15 A YEAR!

On O2 I am hitting the £1 PER DAY charge every day! I have not changed Apps or settings. I know O2 charge £1 for 50 MB and Three charge 1 pence per MB but this does not in any way explain the difference. Please can you explain what could be causing this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@EdwardG 

It's the web daily charge which is £1 a day.

Any mobile data use from background apps will trigger the charge.

If you are ay home or on wifi anywhere, turn off mobile data in your phone settings to prevent the daily charge.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

EdwardG
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you - I  did not know that O2 had a flat data charge - online it says that is the max if you exceed 50MB. Do you really get charged a £1 regardless???

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes I'm afraid so.
Depending on your usage, a big bundle with included data, might be more suitable to you?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes you do. To be honest you would be better on a big bundle unless you follow the advice about switching off mobile data.

Message 5 of 7

EdwardG
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you but I need mobile data turned on. I think that it is back to Three and £10 a year!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As O2 have stopped their classic SIM now, you don't have a choice I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7