Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Network app...

Octopus16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Does the speed tests for download and upload speed in the app use O2 data? I know the browsing and video ones do but does the speed test?
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The speed test through the app never seems to be very accurate in my experience. 

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Speed tests show the result of a sustained download of a single file (single thread) or multiple files (multi-threaded)

DNS cache performance can also have a profound effect on perceived app or browsing speed as most apps that are network enabled make multiple resolution requests while loading or during execution as do webpages.

Service providers such as O2 have to operate a DNS resolution cache consisting of multiple servers (a 'farm') and storage (or they might pay to use someone else's), every time you start an app such as facebook the app will ask what the IP address of something like cdn.facebook.com is, as this is popular it should have the IP address cached and return it pretty quickly although if the number of requests exceeds the capacity of the farm it may appear slow or in the worst case, not answer the request at all leading to a missing page element or an error.

If however, you want to read a local newspaper of a remote place in Australia the cache has to look up the domain and ask it's authoritative servers for the IP address which can add some delay.

Message 4 of 4