Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

How-to Guides

Guide - How do I find my own mobile number?

by pgn on ‎14-11-2018 21:52 - last edited on ‎15-11-2018 11:24 by Community Manager (118,471 Views)

Someone asks you for your number, the mind goes blank. Who dials their own number, right?

Well, fear not: There are 5 fairly simple methods, and one not-so-direct one, to find out what your own phone number is...  Well, OK, ease is relative, but take a look below and see which suits you best!

1) If you own a PAYG phone, the phone number is printed on the PAYG SIM pack, as shown (partially redacted) below:

image3.jpg

2) If you don't have the SIM pack but do have credit, you can call a friend or associate and the number will show up on the recipient's phone:

image7.png

3) If you don't have your SIM pack OR any credit, O2 Live Chat can get the mobile number, when you ask, but you will need to quote your SIM serial number. This requires you to open the SIM carrier on your phone and carefully remove the SIM card.

1. The location of the SIM number on a standard SIM card (and on the card the SIM came with) is shown here:
    image8.jpg
  2. The SIM number location on a Micro or Nano sim is shown below:
    image6.png
  3. The link to “O2 Live Chat” can be found here: https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
    image2.png

4) Text the word NUMBER to 2020 – it's free to send this text and O2 will reply with your phone number, as shown here:
image4.jpg

5) There should be an option to see My number in your phone’s menus.

1. On an Android-based phone, you can see if your number is listed in
    Settings > About phone > Status > SIM Status > My phone number > 
    image5.jpg
    However: Dependent on the software version, it may or may not show a mobile number.

Also please note this menu path may vary depending on the Android phone, and the version of Android, in question -  the menus all differ slightly.

2. If you’re an iPhone owner, navigate to Settings > Phone and My Number will be the first field on the list:
    image1.jpg

6) It is listed at the very top of the MyO2 app opening screen:

Screenshot_20181114-220715__01.jpg

And lastly, if anyone tells you that you can get your telephone number by looking up your phone’s IMEI number (often listed on the package your phone came in), don’t believe them - it’s not impossible, but requires access to telco’s equipment at a level that normally neither you nor the telco have. 

Comments
by Cleoriff
‎14-11-2018 21:59 - edited ‎14-11-2018 22:04

Great little guide @pgn

Though I can remember mine. Had it 10 years now

I checked my husbands for him today, it can also be found in Settings >>> About phone... on his Samsung S7edge  (I didn't need to go into Status or Sim status) wink

by jonsie
on ‎14-11-2018 21:59

You might want to add look in My O2?

by pgn
on ‎14-11-2018 22:17

Good catch, @jonsie - Method (6) now included...

by pgn
on ‎14-11-2018 22:19

@Cleoriff wrote:

Great little guide @pgn

I checked my husbands for him today, it can also be found in Settings >>> About phone... on his Samsung S7edge  (I didn't need to go into Status or Sim status) wink

Thank you, @Cleoriff - and I think your hubby's Samsung S7edge is captured under the caveat "please note this menu path may vary depending on the Android phonethumbsup

by Cleoriff
on ‎14-11-2018 22:23

@pgnVery true. I missed that, so you had it all covered. Happy Dance

by pgn
on ‎14-11-2018 22:29

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgnVery true. I missed that, so you had it all covered. Happy Dance

We try to please....  Crazy LOL

by anticpated
on ‎15-11-2018 08:41

Easiest way to find out is by sigining into your account for me although I had the same number for years now. I haven't used PAYG for a few years now so got out of the habit although generally you used to find it in a section called My Number or About telephone as said. Most VMNP have the number displayed there whereas I noticed o2 contracts don't display the number at all for "security" reasons.

by MI5
on ‎15-11-2018 09:00
Good job @pgn.
Maybe @Martin-O2 could add to the index thread?
by Community Manager
on ‎15-11-2018 11:33

Great work @pgn, thanks for taking the time to write this up! Smiley Happy It might sound surprising but we actually have many people searching on the community how to find their own mobile number, so this will surely be a helpful resource for many.

Thanks!

by Community Manager
on ‎15-11-2018 15:47

Awesome guide @pgn! Thanks for writing this up. smiling Really useful info in here! 

@MI5 Adding to the index now. wink

by pgn
‎15-11-2018 23:43 - edited ‎15-11-2018 23:49

And this Guide has made it onto the Community Carousel, yaay!

I think that deserves a blast of this (the extended version!):

Thanks everyone for the comments that I could incorporate, and for @anticpated, yes, whilst not on the bill, your number is (if you've remembered it and registered on O2's website) there in front of you when you log in.  I guess options (3) and (6) both need you to have done that, so that's a good suggestion too - the unwritten (7)? wink

by Paulineowens136
on ‎25-12-2018 23:45
Any one know how to get number off a sim i got given thanks
by jonsie
on ‎25-12-2018 23:52

You would have to call customer service.Why not just order a free sim online and the mobile number will be on the packaging.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=bigbundles

by ahmedsahlal
on ‎13-09-2019 01:11 - last edited on ‎13-09-2019 08:08 by Moderator DanielPA

i try to gat my lost 02 number xxxxxxxxxxx ,ets very empurtane number.to me  pleas hepe me if you can thanks 

[mod edit: please do not post personal information such as phone numbers on the public board. Thanks!]

by jonsie
on ‎13-09-2019 01:57

How do you mean the number is lost?

When did you last use the number @ahmedsahlal ?

by OldFart
on ‎24-09-2019 09:24
These guides are great.. thanks!