cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Loyal Customer Reward" ended up being a standard sales call to get more money.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi o2,

(posted in feedback section, since an email is not provided in the contact us section).

After being with o2 for over 7 years, today I received a call in which I was told that I would be rewarded for being a long time customer, with a better tarffif.

Initially, the deal seemed good, an extra £1 on top of my usual top up (normally £10 a month).
After discussing this, I was told this would required £16 a month (because I have sometimes topped up £15 on the odd occasion?)

Right at the end of the phone call, when the terms and conditions were explained, it was dropped on me that I would Ibe put on a 12 month contract, which was the first time  I heard about this on call, and even then I had to ask for it to be repeated since it was hard to hear). 

After being on pay & go for all my time, I don't understand why you would think I would like to be fixed to a 12 month contract (especially since my phone is over 3 years old as it is).
I don't normally get impatient from phone calls (which is why I didn't hang up), but this was a fustrating situation.

What seemed to be a good will gesture from O2, just turned into a sales call, where this was continually pushed onto me. How naive of me. The deal itself is not worth the price stated, as well as being put onto a fixed 12 month contract).

After this event occured, I've decided to go for another network provider.

Kind Regards

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fortunately, my phone isn't locked to a specific provider, and thank you for the information you have provided, I feel a bit silly in think this was a good gesture by o2.

Message 11 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum. 

Im sorry this has initiated a Network Move and please do check them other Networks out via using Payg cards to see what signal and data connections are where you live,work and commute.

Tip -> You can unlock your payg handset to use it on other networks if it is unlocked for £15 T&C apply.

Would you like some further knowledge on how to Unlock ?

I hope things go well for you. 

See the previous post to yours....

Message 12 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

As far as I am aware you ARE allowed to cancel as you have a 7-14 days cooling off period.

This is appalling practice pulling people into a deal they do not want or even can afford. People need time to study terms and conditions before signing their lives away to a 2 year contract

Edit Spelling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bandofbrothers,

Thank you.

Fortunately, I do not need to unlock my phone, and I will just order a new sim from another provide for PAYG.

Kind Regards

Message 14 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

@jonsie  is far more knowledgeable than me on the next steps to take.....so I will bow out and leave it to him Best of luck...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 39

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Fortunately, my phone isn't locked to a specific provider, and thank you for the information you have provided, I feel a bit silly in think this was a good gesture by o2.

Nothing to feel silly about at all @Anonymous These people are salesmen, they have the spiel off pat and it's their livelihood. Most are good at what they do, cold calls to persuade people to buy something they don't want. Shady tactics I'm afraid!

Message 16 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie . These people have told the OP she cant cancel now...I am sure she can within her cooling off period. Will you advise please?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 39

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Definitely sounds like a tactic more likely to be used by one of the so-called trusted partners.

If it's not then O2 appear to have descended to the levels of the low life in the telemarketing world.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 18 of 39

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

You are within the 14 day cooling off period and well within your rights to cancel no matter what the company says. Call them and cancel. Some excellent info here :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_b...

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_b...

Thanks @jonsie  I knew I could rely on you...In fact your advice was SO good...you had to post it twice Happy Dance Joking of course....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 39