cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sneaky text message charges whilst roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just sat down and finally managed to work out why each time I go abroad, I seem to get charged for more than double the amount of text messages I actually send....

Although I queried this with O2 when I got my last bill for whilst I was away, the O2 advisor was unsure why it could be, I explained that although I type quite quickly, even I wouldn't be able to send a text message every second for 4 seconds!!!! The response was that they were not sure, but they could send a query to their technical people. Not surprisingly I didn't get an answer.
After a recent trip I made a note of all the texts I had sent and when I was wandering around O2's extensive site, I happened upon a FAQ that stated that texts were only 160 characters long, so every time I sent a text that exceeded 160 characters, it would go through and be billed as more than one text, and they would go through over a period of a few seconds. If they had told me this when I had asked previously, then I would've made sure I wrote only brief texts. Or better yet, if they told everyone on that text we all get when we reach our destinations abroad, you know the one that tells you how much your calls will be and how much a text costs. If they said then that its £X per text (up to 160 characters only) then it would solve a lot of confusion.
But then, I don't suppose O2 will make nearly as much money off all their customers...
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I don't imagine them making much out of roaming charges they have to pay the carriers in other countries to allow O2 phones access.

Have you had look for a PAYG sim for when your abroad? Set up call forwarding from your contract sim before you leave the country you can control costs that way. It's what I do
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 2