cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 reception.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is o2 reception worse than competitors? I recently switched from orange and have found the phone to be virtually useless in norfolk and cambridgeshire other than in a city and a recent trip to the highlands and inner hebrides orange gave me virtually full coverage if sometimes just text and voice even 3 miles out to sea, whereas o2 was unusable. Also relyin in wifi is ok but not when you cant get texts from your kids because tugo isnt on windows phones. Im in a two year contract now with a service that is pretty poor so far.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I was just thinking how you could improve the situation whilst at home.

02 are continuing to improve their coverage especially as 4G is being released fully by 2015 , from 29/8/13 its in Leeds , Bradford and London , and 02 are going to mast share with Vodaphone.
Message 11 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for advice. Haha, I just signed up with viber....they send an sms confirmation code...I cant get sms unless I drive 5 miles up the road!
Message 12 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another option is What's App.

http://www.whatsapp.com/

Take care.
Message 13 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I have that. I think what I'll do is use an upgrade coming up on my sons orange phone for myself and give him this one. He rarely uses his current mobile so o2 should be perfect. I will be going into one of their Norwich branches but I suspect I wont get anywhere.
Message 14 of 33

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Have you tried to put the handset into 2g only mode?

On the status checker http://status.o2.co.uk not the coverage checker what are the results for the 3 different bar graphs 2g 3g and 3g900 for your postcode at home ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, I have that. I think what I'll do is use an upgrade coming up on my sons orange phone for myself and give him this one. He rarely uses his current mobile so o2 should be perfect. I will be going into one of their Norwich branches but I suspect I wont get anywhere.

The store I guess would ask you to ring 02 Customer Services as they are limited to what they can do at store level.

You could always ask to use their store phone to make the call !

The scenario you explain is probably the best way of solving your issue, as long as your son gets 02 good coverage where he lives etc !

Please come back and update the thread when you have resolved the issue.

Message 16 of 33

Asdic_Ping
  • 87 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I'm surprised you didn't get any O2 reception in Fort William as O2 have the nearest mast to the town centre compared to the other operators. I'm going there later this year with my BlackBerry and will be interested to see what reception I get. To see for yourself and to check out where the different operators masts are in a particular area go to http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk.

BlackBerry 9300, 9810 & Playbook
Message 17 of 33

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just remember now that sitefinder is over a year out of date

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Asdic - yes, I was surprised too! It was a drive through on the way back to Edinburgh. I was quiet careful watching the Orange phone and the o2. The Orange connection was up on H and H+ pretty much all the way through.  o2 didnt get beyond one bar and G momentarily. I was very surprised. 

As I mentioned out at sea between the Isles and on them, Vod (which a friend was using) was excellent, Orange not quite as good but certainly useable and o2 .. nothing. 

I have read reports on the 925 of death grip, which I see too as soon as I pick it up and other reports of it being pretty poor reception wise compared to its peers. I suspect I have a combination of a less comprehensive network, particularly in rural, low population areas and a phone which itself is deficient. Unfortunately the combination make the phone/network unusable for me. As many people do I have kids that use text or need lifts or pick ups late in the evening. I can't recieve texts 3 days late from them or get notified of a missed call 4 days later. I realise I am basically screwed over on the contract for two years.

I have another month on my orange contract so will continue to use the 800 and do the upgrade on my sons contract which I pay anyway. I like Win phones and Nokia but looks like HTC One and Android on Orange.

I am not anti o2, I was with them for 6 years and found the service good, but then I lived in St Albans. I even accept the £15 they have stung me for as I didnt realise group texts convert to MMS, yes my fault, but that must catch thousands, be it the network or phone not making it clear..

Message 19 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Adam, yes, I currently have it in 2G mode, full house on Orange, nothing on o2. I am resigned to binning it I'm afraid - at home I accept the signal is intermittent with all networks bar a couple of rooms in the house, but be it poor phone antenna/network I can't accept it being as bad everywhere I've been for the last two weeks except in cities and towns.

Hey ho.

Message 20 of 33