cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraudulent activity

Anonymous
Not applicable
I reported to o2 about 3 weeks ago that I had been a victim of fraud and was told that once my account had been passed onto a investigations officer that someone would give me a call to go into more details in relation to this but unfortunately no one rang. rang them back about 2 days ago and was told that the investigation had already been done and that they believe the account not to be opened fraudulently. reported this online to actionfrauduk and was given a crime reference number which I provided to o2 but they did not take this serious and told me that I was the account holder and that I would have to pay £1055.17 for services used even though I had explained to them that my birth certificate, provisional drivers license and letters as proof of address from my property. they also told me that the sim card had been used in my vicinity I mean that does not justify the fact that I reported this as fraud and since I don't have a bank account and very low income I would have never signed up to a contract. I constantly get phone calls from o2 asking if I want a SIM only deal and I tell them I'm not interested. tried complaining to o2 to be told that they can't take my complaint as I have failed security and that due to data protection they can't disclose any account information. I'm at the end of my tether with this company plus I'm still getting phone calls and letters through the post from morecroft debt collection agency. I have no idea how the bill was being paid if it even was as I don't have a bank account to even use to set up a contract with o2. also around 3 years ago the same incident happened with another telecommunications company but that was dealt with but since then I placed a fraud security password on my credit reference files with Equifax callcredit and experian so this type of thing didn't happen again when credit was being applied for in my name but by the sounds of it o2 must have not done a full depth credit check otherwise they would have been alerted to this marker.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
I suggest you talk to citizens advice or seek legal counsel yourself.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10155 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
This might help, but equifax got hacked in May 2017, and personal information was stolen, and from the letter I received yesterday from them they have taken usernames for equifax services, addresses, telephone numbers. So I would get in touch with them as well.

You can’t put a password on a credit file, (as it’s publically accessible by any legimate organisation including your employer)but a paid for marker called a CIFAS marker, can be applied to your credit file, telling the request to be aware and ask more details,

Unfortunately if they have all the proofs, name, address, credit file and they all match, then I’m afraid they will say it’s you as the evidence will come to that conclusion.

Unfortunatley Identity theft is rising, and becoming more common.

As @MI5 has said try CItizens Advice and Trading Standards.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the O2 community!

We are really sorry to hear about your problem. Please follow their advice and of course, we will send you a Private Message to get more info just in case there's something we can do to help out. thumbsup

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 4 of 4