cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone able to shed any light on why some manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to unilaterally change the standard lengths of the usb recepticals (female)and jacks (male)? Huawei I'm looking at you here, but not just you!!

Micro b of the Universal Serial Bus ranges from 5 mm to 6.5 mm and 3.0 type c ranges from 6 to 8 mm.. 

It works fine when you have a shorter jack and longer hole, but not when the longer jack 'overhangs' the shorter hole so isn't flush, and is prone to wobbling - Is overhangs the right word?

And in the words of Ron Dennis on spotting a mismatched tile on the floor of the McLaren Factory - 'This irritates the hell out of me.'😬😬😬

We have enough trouble with usb cables giving up the ghost long before the electrical plug adaptors and the phones. Without complication like this. I have some HP electrical plug adaptors that are ten years old and still going strong, the related phones and cables all succumbed ages ago.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I would guess they are not sticking to the industry standard http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/usbcpd_testing/USB_Type-C_Compliance_Document_rev_1_1.pdf
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well yes, esp considering that the 3.5 mm audio jack is on the way out, which means no internal dac, which means the usb c to 3.5mm adapter also has to house a dac it you want to hear anything when using analog wired headphones. And even the Google branded audio adapter for the pixel 2 is reported not to be working properly. 

So with micro usb b, also on the way out you are going to need new cables all over the place and it won't be long before the only external port that all models of phone except the iPhone will take is the usb 3.0 C.

There is no easy way of measuring the depth of an usb socket, and measuring usb jacks is not straightforward - and both will depend on the device and manufacturer. The whole point about usb is that it's supposed to be standard...And yeah hours of fun asking eBay suppliers to give precise measurements of the metal parts of usb jacks...🙇🙇

But not to worry as it won't be long before we have no external ports whatsoever - and you'll be able to take your phone deep sea diving,  then Bluetooth will really really really have come into its own. 

Message 4 of 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I find buying from one brand is good I carry a large capacity power bank and have usb micro, usb c and Apple lightning leads so I can charge most phones when required all from ravpower that stand by there warranty on amazon with no issues as long as bought from official uk seller.
They even offer lifetime on some products with registration on there website .
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 5