cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The website is useless

Anonymous
Not applicable
I already have a phone on O2, and I wanted a sim to put my iPad mini on my account as well. (1) The site says nano 4G sims are only for "iPad air" and "iPad mini with retina display". Wrong. Mine is an iPad mini, without the retina display, does 4G and takes a nano sim. (2) If I try and select the option of a 4G nano sim with 3GB data pre-loaded, it puts a *3G* sim in my basket. So I have to select the 4G sim with no pre-loaded data. (3) After ordering the sim, it gives me a link to allow me to choose a plan. OK, good enough, except the first thing that part of the site needs to know is the phone number I'm topping up. How in heck do I know that if I haven't yet received the sim? Why make this an option on the "thank-you" page when it's impossible to follow? In short you have gaps in your knowledge of the technology sector you claim to be serving, you don't test your website properly, and you don't even design the flow properly. Why do you think people like me who just want a simple, easy, quick, shopping experience go to other carriers?
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

look at the back of the ipad for its A number then check the list

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5452

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

We all know how poor the o2 website is but not all ipad minis work on o2 4g check your model number here https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/ 

Ipad sims cannot be added to an account as all topups etc are done within the settings app (non business customers)

You could always get a sim from an o2 store.

But do check that your ipad mini non retina will actually work on o2 4g on the link above.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the community.

Are you ordering the sim from here https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

Another option if your on contract is to tether your phone to the mini although that wouldn't achieve 4G speeds I believe.
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the page I found from the dropdown menu is: http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/ipad-sim. Oh, and the I noticed the other option it gives me to activate the sim when it arrives is to dial 4444 - also a useless suggesstion for an iPad.
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
That may be true, but my iPad definitely supports 4G - I've already used it with another carrier. If some iPad minis don't support it, fair enough, but the website should warn me of this and show me how to check, not simply say it isn't supported when this just isn't true.
Message 5 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
That may be true, but my iPad definitely supports 4G - I've already used it with another carrier. If some iPad minis don't support it, fair enough, but the website should warn me of this and show me how to check, not simply say it isn't supported when this just isn't true.

Have you checked the link I posted early ipad minis will only work on 1800mhz 4g i.e. ee o2 know that all ipad minis non retina are not compatable with o2 4g at 800mhz so that is why it orders a 3g sim!

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, following that link it seems some models will work on some carriers and not others, so it is worth checking. My apologies. However, it doesn't really help, 'coz my model (MD540B/A) isn't listed, and yet it works with 4G. Also - while it may be a business decision - why on earth can I not add iPads to an account. I have a phone, an iPad, and an iPad mini. Hands up anyone who thinks it's a sensible decision to make me manage each of them separately.
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
"That is why it orders a 3G sim". Nonsense. I haven't told it what type of iPad I have, I've simply pressed the button to select a 4G sim.
Message 8 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

look at the back of the ipad for its A number then check the list

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5452

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can understand your frustration and it's right we are discussing it here.

Remember we are all customers and not O2 employees.

If you want official clarification and to feedback your thoughts then perhaps ring them on 202.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 10 of 18