Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare SIM card for holiday, as a backup

jfk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, planning on going on holiday overseas in August, was thinking about getting a refurb phone same as my current one from amazon as a burner phone in case my current gets lost/stolen.  Does anyone know if it's possible to order a 'spare' SIM card too ?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@jfk 

You would not be able to get a second SIM with your current number, but you could procure a second contract or PAYG SIM with a different number from many places.

I would suggest that you think about getting a local SIM, probably PAYG, for the country that you are visiting. Amazon sell a wide range of these.   

If you tell us you destination and the duration of your stay, you will get better help. 👍

Message 2 of 6

jfk
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian  Thanks for the reply, I didn't realise you couldn't get another SIM but a PAYG SIM or a local SIM sounds like a good idea

I'll be going to Madeira (archipelago of Portugal), what's your advice?

cheers

Message 3 of 6

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37203 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Portugal. As the Canaries are to Spain, so Madeira is to Portugal - so an O2 SIM will do, O2 Roaming in the EU is free up to 25GB per month for 63 days, @jfk - Guide: Roaming MegaGuide and this page gives you comparison of PAYG and Contract costs for other locations - choose wisely. https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad  👍🏼 

Message 4 of 6

jfk
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Awesome, thank you

Message 5 of 6

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37203 Posts
  • 238 Topics