cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone (computer) was sending me unasked for text messages.

I deleted them several times.

Gradually I realised my credit was being used up even though I was not using it.

I put in £20 and did not use the phone.

Checked my balance a few days later and found that about £7 had been taken.

I “chatted” on-line with O2 – they told me to text back to the text message with the word STOP.

I did and got back a text saying I was “unsubscribed” – from what I have no idea.

But still money was being taken out of my credit.

I went to an O2 shop and asked them. Not much help, but in the shop they put me through on a land line (I couldn’t find such a customer number on O2s website).

After some music  I explained my problem AGAIN.  They confirmed that more than £13 had been taken from  my credit by TWO related companies. Also told me to text back “GO STOP” (in capitals)

I did this and got back a text saying “No active  subscriptions found”

On checking my balance I found out that a further £3 had been deducted since being in the O2 shop about an hour earlier.

The guy I spoke to on the landline in the O2 shop said there were two related companies debiting my account but that there was nothing they, o2, could do about this.

He told me the companies were Netsize and TMG – neither of which I know.

He also gave me a phone number – 0808 234 3605 and see what happens.

My only option is get another number and a different supplier - one that can help when I ask them too.

How can I stop this happening and why can O2 not stop it when I ask them?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Stop sending STOP, all you are doing is confirming you have a working phone.

Sending STOP will only work with legitimate companies, not these cowboy outfits.

Forward the texts to 7726, and report any charges to this site and you may well get the money back:

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Stop sending STOP, all you are doing is confirming you have a working phone.

Sending STOP will only work with legitimate companies, not these cowboy outfits.

Forward the texts to 7726, and report any charges to this site and you may well get the money back:

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 2 of 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The best way to deal with these sort of things like all spam and unsolicited mail, is not to respond to them in any way.

Everybody profits from these companies one way or another, so by passing the buck and not really acknowledging these things is just a case of plausible deniablity really. O2 have a record of your credit and what it as used for. So log into your acccount and view the the breakdown list of calls and SMS/text messages used.

Get back to O2 about it. The STOP and GO STOP is supposed to be a legal requirement for people in the UK. However if a company is another country or reroutes through another country the same rules may not apply; a bit like these cold-callers who get through the net.

If you can, block the SMS/telephone number and report it to someone who specifically deals with sort of this thing. If you were a contract customer, I have no doubt O2 would be more helpful.

Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 3 of 6

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:
Get back to O2 about it.

If you can, block the SMS/telephone number and report it to someone who specifically deals with sort of this thing. If you were a contract customer, I have no doubt O2 would be more helpful.

There is nothing O2 can do here, Phonepayplus is the way to deal with it.

Message 4 of 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

That doesn't surprise me which reminds me, I need to check my account as I keep getting these PPI messages and phone calls from premium rate numbers.

Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 5 of 6

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I could of retired by now if even half the accident/PPI claims were genuine 😞
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 6