cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung galaxy s2 Android upgrade please

Anonymous
Not applicable
C'mon O2, all galaxy s2 owners are waiting for Android 4 (ics). Many say O2 are hopeless for not updating existing customer handsets, but new customers get all the attention! Prove us wrong! I agreed to a contract longer that I would like so look after my interests please!!
Its way harder to find a new customer than keep an existing customer.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought it was not officially out yet, so O2 can't do anything even if they wanted to.
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its available. You can buy devices like the Galaxy Nexus that have Android 4 on them. Its more likely that Samsung are the limiting factor.
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
It will be available as a software upgrade from Samsung, on your S2 click settings, about phone, software update.
It will tell you that there is no update available yet (2.3.5 is the last I think).
They have penned the offical release date for ICS for April 2012.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its available. You can buy devices like the Galaxy Nexus that have Android 4 on them. Its more likely that Samsung are the limiting factor.

But Samsung have not yet released it for the S2. I know it is being developed and will be released when it if fully compatible with the phone.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Google write it, then it gets released to the phone manufacturers who have to interface it with each of their individual devices and different chip-sets etc. THEN it gets sent to the service providers for them to write and add all their stuff on as well. So don't expect it to be a fast procedure.
The problem with Android is that there are so many different hardware configurations that each individual phone has, to have unique code written for it. I have an unbranded Optimus 3D (so I won't have to wait for the service provider stage to be completed) and I am still not expecting ICS till at least August.
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, it will be out on the 1st of March. Just hope that O2 can release it as soon as ICS is out on that day.
http://nvonews.com/2012/02/15/samsung-g ... n-march-1/
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other thing about the galaxy nexus is that it is a true Google developer phone so it gets its updates direct from google and does not need to be messed with by samsung and o2 before an update is released! The nexus gets true ics, without samsung touchwiz splattered all over it!! However the galaxy s2 will have touchwiz over ics, so needs to be tweaked by samsung and o2. We just need to be patient.
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst I agree with your above statement, I hope to be using ICS as soon as I can get my hands on it. I bought an Samsung Nexus S which is a developers handset, which I manually updated to 2.3.6 as there doesn't seem to be any FOTA running for the mere time that I have owned one.
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
My other handset is a Galaxy S 2 which is using O2 firmware so I'll probably be dead by the time that's released (or at least around August).
Message 10 of 13