Did you mean: 

SIgnal Strength

wobblewoo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello.

I am having some voice call issues on my phone (Pixel 7 pro) and i could do with some help understanding the signal strength if anyone could help please?
It says it's' '-102 dBm 38 asu on a GSM Voice network'

My understanding of dBm (decibel milliwatts) is that -102 is weak

Is it weak?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@wobblewoo 

Cell phone signal strength is measured in decibels (dBm). Signal strengths can range from approximately -30 dBm to -110 dBm. The closer that number is to 0, the stronger the cell signal. In general, anything better than -85 decibels is considered a usable signal.

https://www.accu-tech.com/accu-insider/what-is-a-good-cell-phone-signal-strength#:~:text=Cell%20phon....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 13

wobblewoo
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That means i have a weak signal then doesn't it? 

It's now saying -114 dBm 26 asu

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

Yes, very weak

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 13

wobblewoo
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need to revisit this as my phone drops speech during calls and 5G seems to have a massive lag and be slow too. Can i do that here?

My current signal strength is -115 dBm 25 asu

Message 5 of 13

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38488 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

Does your phone, assuming you have good in-building WiFi where you are, qualify for WiFi Calling, @wobblewoo?

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Note if you are O2 PAYG, not possible to use WiFi calling.

Note the check for IMEI on the page linked above is out of date - any modern Smartphone sold in last 4 years or so should offer the feature.

Note all O2 customers with functional MyO2 via App or browser are on O2's 360 backend system, so your account on the O2 side is good to go, just switch on in your handset, and see how you get on. Good luck!

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@wobblewoo 

Turn off 5g and try on 4g.

Message 7 of 13

wobblewoo
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ill do that, just tested and heres the speeds im getting where i'm sitting:
WiFi (2Ghz) 22.7Mbps
5G 10.8Mbps
4G 11.5Mbps

So i've changed network setting son my phone to 'Preferred network type: 4G' and ill see how i get on.

Message 8 of 13

wobblewoo
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think i have decent WiFi (It's a Ubiquiti system running over VM 350Mbps) although i will also test within 5Ghz WiFi range as the 2Ghz WiFi here on my phone as i type is at 22.7Mbps currently.

If i switch off WiFi on my phone, i get 10.8Mbps on 5G and on 11.5Mbps on 4G - 5G always seems crazy slow on my phone.

Im SIM only on a Pixel 7 Pro and according to my settings i have WiFi calling turned on (your link doesn't work)

Message 9 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11603 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

to be fair 22Mbps on Wifi is poor even on 2.4Ghz, I would be expecting to see much higher speeds, but yeah on 5Ghz it should be a lot higher, is this using the VM Hub as a Modem with Ubiquiti kit as the Router or just an AP?

Nothing wrong with those 5G or 4G speeds to be honest, not brilliant, but usable, and to be honest 700Kbps difference is nothing, it would be better to see the latency on both WiFi and Mobile Data..

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 10 of 13