cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent five days in France in May and was charged for data as though I was out side the EU.

o2 have refunded my PAYG balance of £110 after a lot of correspondence but they say I must

have been outside the EU. Explanations include that I must have been on the boarder of an EU country

that an airline was responsible etc. I am still looking for an explanation but am met with 'Impossible'

our systems are such that charges are clearly determined by location. 

Another interesting phenomenon was that I topped up with £20 when I discovered that I had a zero

balance, received a message that £1.99 would be taken from mt account which was good for the day

turned off my mobile and when I turned it on again was told I had no money. I had not used the phone in the meantime.

As I am leaving for France shortly for two months and dont want the same thing to happen I have put my SIM in an old type phone ie not smart so can only be used for call. I will then use my NEXUS and iPad for WIFI to read my emails.

Could you please tell me if anyone else has experienced this problem or how it could have happened. I've been with o2 for 15 years and going to the same place in France and its never occured before.

Thanks for your time

Peter

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149000 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions
From what you have said it really shouldn't be anything other than O2 travel rates.
Something strange has happened and in all honesty non of us customers here are in a position to help you any further, I don't think.
It's no help but just hope it doesn't happen again 😞
Obviously you can contact CS again if it does but I advise you try and keep a note of any networks your phone connects to as they might help in troubleshooting the issue, should it happen again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

We have heard about similar stories.

O2 Travel is £1.99 for 50mb daily limit. And you can refresh by texting MORETRAVEL to 23336

There's a travel app now available for android and iOS too.

Or have your phone unlocked here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%... and use a local SIM card.

Free to contract or £15 to Payg T&C apply.
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 149000 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions
How did you travel to France?
Was it by Ferry - Ships are very expensive !
It is also worth checking that you are definitely connected to a French network.
Do a manual search and stay locked to one provider whilst out there if you can.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Flew RyanAir Bournemouth Carcassonne BUT did not get the usual Wecome message. What was I meant to do as I did not discover the fault till later. Peter

Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, could you please check your link as I get 'You have entered invalid details. Please check and try again'

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
  • 149000 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions
You seem to have accepted an answer as solving your problem but I'm not sure how?
Anyway, unless you know what network you were connected to it is difficult to comment any further - By the looks of things you should have been connected to a French network (from the location you landed in at least) so it seems odd that you didn't get the O2 Travel rates - I assume you do/did have O2 travel enabled on your account at the time?
Message 8 of 23

jonsie
  • 93922 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

Just a quick question, did you have the phone switched on during the flight or on landing? It must have connected to some other data provider at some stage presumably.

Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its good that Cs provided Goodwill Gesture on this for you.

I'm glad the Link I provided helped for future use.
Message 10 of 23