cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium Charge Scams

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had any success in blocking these scammers from sending texts and making charges against their accounts?

Has anyone found a way of getting O2 to take some responsibility for closing down the route that these companies use to facilitate the scam? 

I am writing on behalf of the account owner who is a person with special needs, he is a young man being bombarded by such companies. PM Connect, Buongiorno and 85878 as a few examples. Costs running to hundreds of pounds a year.

Any useful suggestions would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The guide to this is here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premiu...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23325 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3711 Solutions

@Anonymous You can report this here: http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

These charges are not O2's responsibility, nor would they be for any other network.

There are some phones that will block these numbers and there also apps that you can install, depending on what phone you have.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145516 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27934 Solutions

Phonepayplus are the regulators of premium rate phone lines.

Blocking numbers will not stop the charges.
You can search for an offending number on their website and approach the company directly to be removed from their list and to be refunded.
Reputable companies will do this without hesitation.
If they refuse to cooperate with you the opportunity is there to report those companies to the regulator who will take action on your behalf.
You should also take steps to stop these "subscriptions" from happening in the first instance by not clicking on free giveaways, competition entries and such like, most of which emanate from Facebook and other social networking sites.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

As above, you need to look up each company on the link @Bambino gave and either write to or call each company cancelling any subscriptions and asking for a possible refund. Facebook is by far the biggest source of these premium scams and accidentally clicking on a link will very often subscribe to premium texts.

The networks cannot stop these texts coming in and it's up to the watchdog to clamp down on these premium services.

Message 4 of 8

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The guide to this is here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premiu...

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 8

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

It's imperative that you approach these companies asap by following the instructions given in this thread. I'd also make that complaint to PhonePayPlus.

It might be worth enquiring about how exactly these "services" were signed up for, as then you'll hopefully be able to try and minimise future signups by your friend.

It's a harsh world these days and companies like this care not if they're taking money from vulnerable ppl. But, they do get fined for repeatedly breaking the rules (I think it was @jonsie (?) who recently published some links to the outcomes of these hearings where companies were fined for bad practice) so please make sure you complain the the regulator.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 6 of 8

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/for-business/tribunal-adjudications/latest-tribunal-adjudications for example

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 145516 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27934 Solutions
It's only possible to fine UK based companies though and they are the ones that usually toe the line.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 8