cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poorly programmed automated call handling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've rarely needed to use the O2 customer services. Whenever I do, I find the advisors very helpful. However, I have to take issue with the way that the automated call handling part of the service is put together.

I recently had to call regarding call barring and a replacement SIM following the theft of a handset. This was all handled quite well - when I got through to the people. However there seems to be a new check built into the system so that you can't get through if the system thinks there's an outstanding balance on your account. Your call is simply dumped unless you elect to pay the outstanding balance there and then, on the phone.

I can see why O2 might want to put this check into the programming. They don't want to provide a technical and advice service to those who don't pay their bills. However I'm a pay monthly customer whose bills are paid by direct debit. My bill was issued on June 29th, for payment by July 8th. I happened to call on July 5th, three days before O2's systems took the 'outstanding balance' by direct debit. So it seems to me that there was probably a window between June 29th and July 8th when O2's call handling system would decline to put through my calls - unless, presumably, I wanted to talk about paying my bill!

In order to get through to a person, I paid the outstanding balance by debit card - still using the automated call handling. The advisor was helpful as usual, but a bit mystified when I queried the way the automated call handling appeared to treat my call. 

The next day I had a follow-up query on my replacement SIM. Again the automated call handling decined to put through my call. This time it was because it was less than 24 hours since I'd paid the outstanding balance - by debit card!  When I did eventually get through to a person I vented my frustration, but the advisor was clearly as puzzled as I was.

In summary and with a cool head, my impression of the O2 customer service is of a very helpful and courteous set of people, poorly supported by the automated call handling system.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
@Martin-O2 clearly something very wrong with this check.
Can you address with O2 please?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @MI5.  @Anonymous I'm sorry to hear of the bad experience you've had. I'll speak to the rest of the team to find out what happened with the automated menus in your call. I might need a bit more information from you but if I do I'll get in touch. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 4

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous I've been advised system will prompt you to pay if there is an outstanding balance however you should still have the option to get through to an advisor. As this didn't happen with you we're going to investigate what happened. I've sent you a private message to get a few details so please get back to me when  you can. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 4