cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Mobile phone signal

Anonymous
Not applicable
I live in an area where o2 is the only useable signal,albeit still very weak. At my home address I have to stand by an upstairs window or go outside to make or receive calls.
I heard that a booster is available to plug in at home to improve the signal around the house.
Is this true and if so information please.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
not at present only vodafone (sure signal)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a pay and go Vodafone with me for use in the o2 black holes.
Message 3 of 23

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
discodave those devices are prohibited from use in the uk under the wireless telegraphy act. Up to £5000 fine if caught using one.
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
blimey, I had no idea. I do apologise.
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Must have been a deleted post so mine did not make sense!
Message 6 of 23

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
it was a link to ebay for one of those gsm repeaters.
Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
discodave those devices are prohibited from use in the uk under the wireless telegraphy act. Up to £5000 fine if caught using one.

I am sure a prosecution would be unlikely if the product was bought from a British reseller in good faith and you played sufficiently dumb.
Oh and keeping quiet about owning such an item would be a good idea.
Message 8 of 23

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
AF
The sale is not illegal it is just the use of the repeater. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforc ... t/jammers/
Cellular enhancers / boosters / repeaters
In the UK the use of any radio transmitting device is required to be either licensed or specifically exempted from licensing under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (WT Act 2006). For mobile telephones, the use of the spectrum by the network operators is licensed to cover the use of transmitters and repeaters, while user devices (i.e. handsets) are covered by a general exemption.
Repeater devices transmit or re-transmit in the cellular frequency bands. Only the mobile network operators are licensed to use equipment that transmits in these bands. Installation or use of repeater devices by anyone without a licence is a criminal offence under Section 8 of the WT Act 2006. Any person found guilty of installing or using such devices without a licence would be liable on conviction to a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to 51 weeks’ imprisonment (Six months in Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Anyone wishing to improve coverage in a particular area is advised to contact their network provider.
Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
AF
The sale is not illegal it is just the use of the repeater. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforc ... t/jammers/
Cellular enhancers / boosters / repeaters
In the UK the use of any radio transmitting device is required to be either licensed or specifically exempted from licensing under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (WT Act 2006). For mobile telephones, the use of the spectrum by the network operators is licensed to cover the use of transmitters and repeaters, while user devices (i.e. handsets) are covered by a general exemption.
Repeater devices transmit or re-transmit in the cellular frequency bands. Only the mobile network operators are licensed to use equipment that transmits in these bands. Installation or use of repeater devices by anyone without a licence is a criminal offence under Section 8 of the WT Act 2006. Any person found guilty of installing or using such devices without a licence would be liable on conviction to a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to 51 weeks’ imprisonment (Six months in Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Anyone wishing to improve coverage in a particular area is advised to contact their network provider.

You are missing my point.
I am talking about "mens rea", the guilty mind. Playing dumb and declaring you had no idea you were breaking the law and by stating the said item was purchased in the UK, all helps to show there was no guilty mind.
Normally, these items are used in the less populated areas and therefore would cause the least amount of problems. All of this, almost makes them worth the risk. However, what people must realise, is that there has to be a decent signal somewhere in the house for them to be effective.
Looking at the feedback on these items, they clearly work and they are well subscribed. The law will eventually have to be changed or some "case law" somewhere will force the change.
These items could solve many issues for the Networks and customers alike.
Message 10 of 23