Did you mean: 

Phishing E-mails

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

We occasionally get a thread or two where a member has received a 'phishing email' (an email which appears to be from a reputable company but is actually a fraudster)

I have decided to link to a great article talking about this from 'The Blue' and it talks through what phishing e-mails are, how they are designed/sent and how you can prevent them.

Fraudsters - making Social Media an antisocial place

What are your thoughts on these e-mails? Have you been a victim? What tips do you have to prevent this?

Cheers, Toby

Update:

Hi guys, the page has been updated with more information of how to prevent phishing email scams, so take a look and familiarize yourself with it, as well as using it to help others, should you see any reports on the community.

http://news.o2.co.uk/2013/01/09/fraudsters-making-social-media-an-antisocial-place/

Thanks, Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Phishing emails should be reported to action fraud http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/scam-emails

That is what I do with those that my spam filter catches on my isp email

Nothing you can do to prevent them emailing you but depending on spam filtering your isp offers you can consign them to a spam folder and auto delete after a period of time.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

jkgwatcher
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

There is a phishing mail on the loose. as follows:

o2.jpg

Dear Customer,

You have a pending security update on your account.

Visit www.o2.co.uk/account/security/online.html to avoid any future network disruption.

(The link of course points somewhere not O2, i.e. http://phpkong.tk/account/O2Network_Security.html so I have disabled it.

Regards

The O2 Team

I expect it invites the victim to enter theie O2 account username and password slight_frown

Message 3 of 7

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for that Adam.

jkgwatcher: I'm glad you noticed the issue and did not proceed and thanks for alerting everyone about it. I hope the page I have linked to is helpful.

Toby

Get involved:

Message 4 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I use this program which will warn you if you try and use a fake link when connecting to a site where you need to log in, it seems very effective and most UK banks offer it now:

http://www.trusteer.com/download-trusteer-rapport

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 7

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Update:

Hi guys, the page has been updated with more information of how to prevent phishing email scams, so take a look and familiarize yourself with it, as well as using it to help others, should you see any reports on the community.

http://news.o2.co.uk/2013/01/09/fraudsters-making-social-media-an-antisocial-place/

Thanks, Toby

Get involved:

Message 6 of 7

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I've lost count of the number of phishing scams I've seen.

There are different methods to find out if it is a phishing scam:

- Obviously you need to be suspicious about any email that you receive which is from someone you do not know.

- The bank ones are very common - for example if it's an email from Barclays Bank about your account and you don't have a Barclays Bank account then it's obviously a phishing scam.  Even if you are a Barclays Bank customer, a bank will never ask for your personal details so DO NOT enter any personal details/bank information.  If in doubt, give your bank a ring to ask them if the email is from them (call the number on the banks website and not the one in the email).

- If you click on the email address which you received the email from, for example it may say it is from Amazon but the email is from an address which isn't ending in @amazon.co.uk then it's likely to be a phishing scam.

- Is the email personal? Who is it addressed to? Emails which are addressed to you as 'customer' 'user' or your email address are common types of phishing scams.

- Emails with links on for you to provide your details - most of these links are to external sites - DO NOT enter your details.

- It may ask you to download something - such as a programme to protect your computer - DO NOT download anything.

- Some email providers, such as MSN/Hotmail, provide an option in your email account for you to report an email as a phishing scam - if you have that option in your email account please use it.  Also, block the email address or domain name so that you will no longer receive emails from them.

- Many companies/banks have set up phishing scam emails addresses for you to forward the email to them for them to check and to make other users aware of it.

Message 7 of 7