cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre repair scam

Anonymous
Not applicable
About 4 month ago I bought a Palm Pre. After some time the speaker started getting a problem and would only work once in a while. I sent the phone in for repair and after a few weeks I got a call and was told that the phone had a crack at the USB port (which I never noticed) and that because of this they could not fix it and I would have to pay 100 Pounds for them to take another look at it. After getting the phone back I powered it up. The only problem before was that the speaker was not working all the time. But now the whole screen was white and some test program kept running. So I could not even get to my numbers. I went back to the O2 store and they said that because it was already sent in they could not send it in again. After having to call some support number in the store it was sent back again. Today the store phoned me and told me that because of the crack at the usb port (which I still can not see) they could not fix it and if I had any other questions I should call the repair centre. The first thing the lady there told me is that she was not allowed to talk to me. After asking repeatedly who was responsible for my broken phone she agreed to have a look into my record and then stated that no one at O2 ever touched my phone and that the crack could also be a scratch. But there is nothing she could really do and that the store is responsible and they will be in contact with me again.

I now don't know what to do. I had a phone which work most of the time and now has become as useful as a brick and O2 is now starting to be very rude.

Has someone had a similar case? How can I get O2 to admit that they broke my phone, if their records say they never touched it, which they blatantly did?

Here is a video of what my pre boots into now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKxrbkYye3Q
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a similar experience - my palm was sent back with the Palm webOS missing and just with the test functions available. The shop had to install the OS again and the repair centre said they never touched the unit!!!!!

Again the wantred to charge £100 plus for repairing my screen which had cracked from the inside and lack of speakerphone volume. They said my missing usb cover invalidated the warranty - even though the usb works fine.

I am now consideering small claims court and trading standards over O2's poor customer service
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
omg dont start me people!!!!!!!

go into the palm pre section and read my post about my experience! its lenghty!!

to cut a long story short mine kept freezing dropped calls sos calls only ec. it froze for 4 hors at a time restarting it taking batter out etc did no good when i turned it on again it was still frozen
sent it away for repair. was told i had a crack in usb port unknown to me also and they wouldnt fix it.

i spent 10 weeks of back andforth to shop manager promised me new phone waited and waited 10 weeks to the day i got a new palm pre plus. was told would also get 70 quid for inconvenience that has still to materialise. im off work at moment so cant go back into shop. im pretty disgusted to be honest.

thats the very condensed version!!
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sent my pre in with the problem of switching off and getting hot, it took 20 minutes to boot up. I didnt hear anything and so i called them. They said I had a usb crack and screen and it invalidated the warranty. I said it must have been damaged in transit and told them I would not pay over £100 and to send it back. It came back and there is no crack! No Screen crack. Called them up and was told it may be on the inside, I said what even the screen crack and all the scratches????
Anyway I then said I am looking at forums with posts from people who have had the exact same thing happen and I believe you are attempting to get money out of customers for faults that don't exist. Is is a coincidence that there are big problems in the States where people are angry that this supposed common fault invalidates the warranty? I think not. They said they would send out a refurbished phone for an at door exchange having taken legal advice I declined. Now I wait to hear from Customer complaints and it angers me to think that a company such as O2 would stoop so low. :robotsurprised:
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apply for a Norwich Pharmacal order.....it worked for ACS:Law grin
Message 5 of 5