cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2's 3G coverage in Lisburn N.Ireland - poor?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Brief outline:
I used to be with O2 back in 2005 before switching to Vodafone in that July however due to the lure of the iPhone I will be returning to O2...or should I?

I know every area's different, but as far as I know, O2's 3G coverage here is extremely poor - I live in Lisburn (a city now no less!) and work within a mile of the O2 Store in Bow Street - which also happens to be the only area I know that O2 has 3G capacity here - now some of you may say so what not everywhere can have it - but it's all very well being able to demo O2's 3G in store, but bring your phone to work within a mile of this and no 3G?!

My main problem is the fact that O2 seem painfully slow in upgrading capacity here - I've had full signal strength on Vodafone on my ageing K800i (I sold my upgrades) on Vodafone's 3G since the day I got it - over 38 months ago now - why can't O2 match rivals for capacity still 3 years on? A friend's iPhone 3G today in work too over 30 secs to load bbc.co.uk!

Just trying to find out what anyone else's 3G coverage here is like...
Thanks,
nirelandman
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
To be honest Your not alone. I live in a town in the uk and i also get no 3g or edge. I would say that 70% of my friends are on o2 and they all say the same. 3g is where? The best thing about it is that we all do live either in towns, near towns or just near the cities. We dont live in the wilderness which i would understand

1 firend i know 3g coverage where he lives, but he doesnt use it. His words are its pointless unless im using it for the internet and I have wifi at home, I cant use it for videocalling as no friends has 3g coverage.

I think o2 3g coverage is shocking and havnt seen any improvements to where i live at all.

I have noticed that some of the east coast towns now have 3g, but i think that the lack of 3g is shockingly poor.

Where i live i can get the other 4 networks on 3g with out any problems at all, at work i get 3 of them, my sistems and relations i get 4 of them again on o2 i get no 3g coverage what so ever. This is in a major city as well.

Im told that its in the city, which i cant say it isnt. But i find more black spots with 3g and its very patchy too.

I have to admit that i current use a modem on a rival network just becasue there 3g coverage is so much better.
So to me thats another £20 o2 has lost out to which i wouldnt mind paying to them

I just hope that o2 start to improve the 3g in there network,as at present its not something they can write home about and be proud of
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just received this reply from O2 on the matter:

<<<"Hello Peter

Thanks for emailing us and I'm sorry there isn't 3G coverage in your area.

We're constantly expanding our 3G coverage. Your area will soon receive 3G coverage. For any further help, please call our network service team on 08705 214 000. Calls are free of charge from your O2 Pay Monthly phone and calls from your landline will be charged at your telephone providers' published rates.

I hope you'll find this information useful. You can also visit our online help centre at:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Kind regards
O2 Customer Service.">>>

"We're constantly expanding our 3G coverage?" Really? Then how come Vodafone has had 3G and full signal strength for me personally across most of the city, since at least JULY 2005! Doesn't sound like constantly expanding, sounds like constantly not bothering to compete with rivals on this important issue. I'm sure it's like that across the UK for people - other networks full 3G for years, O2 = patchy...

Now I'm not here to bash O2, I was with them before and aside from no 3G they were great on all fronts - it's just frustrating that 3 years on and still they can't give me what the their rivals can which isn't good enough from the UK's most popular (?) mobile operator...

Thanks for your feedback on it darrengf - it's all very well having great phones and tariffs capable of 3G, HSDPA - but this is all wasted if the network doesn't deliver the technology.

Come on O2 don't give us empty "We're constantly upgrading our coverage" spiel - where, London? Or somewhere else that probably has full capacity?!

Hopefully like in the Vodafone forum, we can have an O2 customer agent on here to help us out with this slight_smile

Thanks again and if someone from Lisburn or even N.Ireland can respond with their experience then even better...

nirelandman
Message 3 of 5

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
I think what makes me chuckle.

The phone no given is just the normal customer serivice number and when you speak to a o2 agent, all they can say is that the web map has more uptodate info than they do.

i have asked and asked on many times and i get the same answer. They cant say when i will get it and they dont have a department that they can ask (This worries me)
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i too cannot access 3G in the Lambeg/ Hilden area, where as when i am at home in Dunmurry it works ok which is no more than 2 miles away. But then again i dont need 3G at home because i have wi-fi.
O2 please start to upgrade your 3G coverage, as this makes me want to jump ship to orange or vodafone purley just for their 3G coverage. 😞
Message 5 of 5